Is there any way to stop manipulation of social welfare programs?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (31 posts)
  1. peeples profile image94
    peeplesposted 11 years ago

Is there any way to stop manipulation of social welfare programs?

Is there really any way to stop people from using the system?

2. profile image0
    msorenssonposted 11 years ago

Questions of ethics are always challenging to answer. I do not know how to answer it especially in the socio-political context.

Firstly you need to define "manipulation"
    Then you have to define "using the system"

I assume that your question is why should hardworking people have to pay for others whom you perceive to be ms-using the system

If people did not need it, it would naturally disappear..But in every society, there will always be those that will need the help of others, be it a friend, a neighbor, a government, so even when it is abolished by the government, it will still exist, under a different name.

Just my opinion.

1. peeples profile image94
      peeplesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I meant those who are actually manipulating such as those working "under the table" while still claiming they are jobless and need help.

2. profile image0
      msorenssonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Oh..I did not know they exist..my apologies..
      In this case they need or desire more than what they are getting and to lie or not to lie is their choice.

3. Matthew Weese profile image61
      Matthew Weeseposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Would it be to much to handle if you were open to the realization the system is designed from manipulation. What about people who abuse their positions of power, why are they never called out, Oh yeah!!! They have a respectable label  in life.

4. peeples profile image94

Those people are called out ever day Matthew. It's all over the internet and news, The Occupy movement tried to call those out, yet still nothing done about thousands using the system.

5. Matthew Weese profile image61

A liveable wage is a wage that offers health care. What about the doctor that charges double for medicaid?, housing that costs double for P.A?, can you pay all your bills, all of them on 7.25 an hour?, if you can you are a miracle worker.

6. peeples profile image94

We have supported a family of 4 on 7.25 an hour. It's called living within one's means. There's no doubt problems within government but there will be as long as people want to rely on them instead of themselves!

3. nikkiraeink profile image59
    nikkiraeinkposted 11 years ago

I work for the system and while I will say there are parts that are certainly broken, I've seen and helped a number of people that needed it. Actually they needed more help and couldn't get it. I think we (as society) could do a lot more to help out.

1. lone77star profile image71
      lone77starposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Heaven knows I've needed help from time to time, but legislated "compassion" isn't the way to do it.

2. profile image0
      Justsilvieposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I think the programs need reworking, but they are needed. Depending on the compassion of the general populace never worked before here or on most other parts of the planet.

3. Becky Bruce profile image67
      Becky Bruceposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I have done a lot of research on welfare systems- and other social programs- and I completely agree with you! People who cheat the system make popular media but skew public perceptions. Most are not cheating the system- the system is cheating them.

4. peeples profile image94

You may be right Becky but in my line of work I have met literally hundreds cheating the system. I'm sure it's no different in other areas.

People would not need it be it they were paid a liveable wage. way i see it we should not need a system in the first place if workers were paid respectable wages, Oh!!! that would mean advancements toward equal classes, they won't let that happen.

6. peeples profile image94

What's your opinion of a livable wage Matthew? Here 7.25 is a livable wage. Cost of living is super low, yet people still cheat the system. There will always be those who want more no matter the wage.

4. Express10 profile image86
    Express10posted 11 years ago

Good question but unfortunately I think not. As long as the offices don't HIRE enough people to screen and perform due diligence at the initial filings and on a random basis, there will continue to be people that manipulate these programs.

People that don't actually NEED the aid should not be able to get their hands on it. Those who have received everything that they could should not be able to come back for more, especially when the rules were clearly laid out or they've had plenty of time to adjust to the end of the aid.

The problem is that there are many people that need social welfare, many more than what some out-of-touch politicians believe. Some who are in need don't get it.

Matthew Weeseposted 11 years ago

Make employment pay people a liveable wage. What about Doctors? they depend on Medicaid just as much as the recipient, what about farmers bail outs? what about McDonald's last I remember they are subsidized, any store that receives food-stamps/  E.B.T.... They are all on Welfare, they just have prettier titles. If you want people to stop using the system it is easily resolved....PAY PEOPLE A LIVEABLE WAGE!!!!! where they can afford health care, pay there bills, buy their gas, put clothes on their body's, food in their mouths....Oh!!! Ive seen first hand what "Social workers" do for a living, I would never refer to them as workers, they don't work!!!! That is not work!!!! You Social people who think that your not on welfare, ha ha, you are!!! you just you get a name tag and a fancy label.

1. Matthew Weese profile image61

Not every one is uneducated retards to this economic crisis, I've seen our public buildings waste a lot of money just because they had a time limit to spend it, then turn a hungry, homeless man down for food stamps, because he had no address.

2. lone77star profile image71
      lone77starposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Legislated "compassion" is no compassion at all.

Vote Ron Paul for president in 2012. Despite what the Corporate Party media kool-aid says, he's the only choice to restore the Constitution and fiscal sanity. Eliminating IRS would stimulate economy!

Pharmacy's are the the biggest welfare recipient out there. They are a drain on Medicaid.  Half way house bilk medicaid and cash assistance that the recipient receives. Programs such as C.H.A.D, are huge drains on Medicaid.

6. lone77star profile image71
    lone77starposted 11 years ago

Yes. The simplest way to stop people using (or abusing) social welfare programs is to eliminate them altogether.

Compassion should not come from legislation. It opens up too many chances for abuse, not only from people using the programs, but from the legislators and bureaucrats who manage them.

Too much Nanny (Communistic) State gives people Learned Helplessness. It's making America weaker and more dependent.

Social welfare programs are unconstitutional. Big corporations love them, but they don't care for the "customers" or "citizens." Just like Big Pharma is dead set against cures -- bad for the bottom line.

1. Insane Mundane profile image58
      Insane Mundaneposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'm liking this answer...

2. profile image0
      JThomp42posted 11 years agoin reply to this

How about a Veteran with no legs. Does he deserve disability?

I would like some light shined on corporate welfare scams/fraud. They are taking on a much larger scale than the few hundred a month, and food stamps/Medicaid, the recipient receives.

7. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 11 years ago

From what I have seen those who really need it get turned down. Those who do get it just keep having babies for the check they will get for each child. I think these women should be provided with birth control and cut off after 2 babies. Check for 2 kids, "NO MORE!" I knew of a guy who was in a wheel chair and didn't have any legs (Veteran) It took him 2 years to get his disability. A Travesty!!!!

1. Express10 profile image86
      Express10posted 11 years agoin reply to this

What you say is so true. I know a baby machine that has had her children repeatedly tested in hopes of getting a check for a disability that doesn't exist. There are vets (homeless & not) that give up hope on their benefits because of the red tap

2. profile image0
      JThomp42posted 11 years agoin reply to this

It is so unfair.

8. Matthew Weese profile image61
    Matthew Weeseposted 11 years ago

I was not going to make a hub on this topic, but here go's. We live in a country that was stolen and constructed from boards of deceit, theft, murder, lye's, treachery, pain, misery, human suffering, stolen labor, slavery, savagery, rape, and Inter... read more

9. Seraph77 profile image61
    Seraph77posted 11 years ago

This is a question that I honestly believe has several different answers.  I personally know more people that abuse the aid than people who use it for what its for.  My ideal social welfare program would be like a rehabilitation program.  You are assigned a case worker (NOT an overloaded case worker) who is assigned to you for x amount of time.  The social worker and person work as a team, like a counselor/teacher and student towards a goal together.  If the person(s) stops cooperating and gives up during that time then they no longer receive help.  People need to be held responsible for their actions and choices they have made in their life.  Unexpected pregnancies happen, job loss happens, emergencies happen.  The journey to get back on track always takes longer than the incident that caused someone to need the help.  However, as long as the Government keeps holding these peoples hands and giving them what they need to live they are never going to stop abusing that free help.  Unfortunately our country has alot of lazy people who think they are owed something by the Government for one reason or another.  I really do believe there is more than one right solution to this ongoing problem.  Hopefully someone will be able to implement a successful solution.

1. Matthew Weese profile image61

What about corporate welfare. They should be held accountable for their misfortunes, they did not have the misfortune of an unexpected pregnancy, yet the government grants them, so how long is the government suppose to hold them down.

2. Express10 profile image86
      Express10posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I completely agree Matthew. There should be no gov't aid for a select few companies when many others have suffered losses.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)