jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Why do we house "death row" prisoners for decades?

1. mcrawford76 profile image84
    mcrawford76posted 7 years ago

Why do we house "death row" prisoners for decades?

It costs an average of 55.09 a day to house an inmate in a US detention facility. That equals over $20 thousand dollars a year. After all appeals have been used up and due process has been served, why do we allow these prisoners to use up US tax dollars for decades? And what can we do as a country to change this policy?

2. Mr. Happy profile image82
    Mr. Happyposted 7 years ago

Maximum security can cost well up to 75k a year. To spend that much money on a  rapist or child molester or serial killer for example, is just simply ridiculous. I'd feed them to piranhas.

3. wingedcentaur profile image85
    wingedcentaurposted 7 years ago

If you're talking about people convicted of murder -- it sometimes comes out that he or she was innocent after all; new evidence comes in (DNA, previously lying witnesses recant testimony, etc). Money shouldn't be the motivation curtailing justice in my opinion. Besides, there's other things about the government budget to pick on -- like, say, the military industrial complex...

4. mcrawford76 profile image84
    mcrawford76posted 7 years ago

I find it very hard to believe that housing a prisoner for 30+ years is less expensive than killing them the day after their appeals are used up. And with today's technologies, most convictions are based on DNA evidence, so to me there is little doubt about their guilt.

5. nightwork4 profile image61
    nightwork4posted 7 years ago

it's called the do-gooder policy. i'm canadian but i'm all for capital punishment. the problem is that too many people want to protect even the worst monsters and it ends up getting us no where. my only problem with capital punishment is that the people who cause a person to be convicted should be held responsible . if we later learn that they either lied, faked evidence or forced someone else to lie they should be put through the same sentence as the person they helped convict. death is a scary thing but having sick monsters left living is even worse.

working