jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Might is right - Benito Mussolini quote. It seems it still is. Your views?

1. Tusitala Tom profile image60
    Tusitala Tomposted 7 years ago

Might is right - Benito Mussolini quote.  It seems it still is.   Your views?

2. BobbiRant profile image61
    BobbiRantposted 7 years ago

There is also a saying: "The one who dies having the most toys wins."  But does not hold water either.  Might just means who has the most force or the biggest guns.  Doesn't not make that side right.  Just the one with more weapons or more firepower. A quote from a dictator like that is not surprising.

3. proton66 profile image62
    proton66posted 7 years ago

Dictator Mussolini, who once collaborated with Hitler's Germany thought he was mighty, and in the end got his butt kicked i.e. Italy losing to the allied forces, if my history serves me right. So, I concur with BobbiRant. And I also believe that people with arrogance would make such as statement.

4. Beege215e profile image68
    Beege215eposted 7 years ago

Might may win, it may have muscles to knock everyone else down, but that doesn't make it Right.  So I would beg to disagree.

5. profile image0
    Butch Newsposted 7 years ago

They don't have armies and police forces for nothing.

But brute force to do what one wants is immoral.  The Roman Catholic Church did that for years until the reformation brought change.  You could be burned alive for not attending church or speaking out against the church.  That was pretty excessive force.

But force works if there are none to oppose it.  It's why there are still many dictatorships in the world.  Force works but it doesn't make it right.

6. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image97
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 7 years ago

Might has never been associated with a grain of truth, or even the slightest hint of "right," but power is derived from the barrel of a bun, as chairman Mao said.