jump to last post 1-14 of 14 discussions (14 posts)

why are drive-thru food places so popular?

1. nightwork4 profile image61
    nightwork4posted 7 years ago

is it due to laziness, convienience or something else. do they cause too much polution and obiesity?

2. profile image58
    Donald Eposted 7 years ago

Fast food is popular for a few reasons.
    The primary reason is that it's a quick, easy and relatively cheap way to get food.
    The second is that the food that you get is high in fat and sugar, so our bodies tend to not be satisfied with healthier options once we are used to it.

3. Ironracer profile image69
    Ironracerposted 7 years ago

Drive-thru places are popular because Americans have become accustomed to convenience and, generally, don't care about their health.  I've witnessed people drive in circles at parking lots waiting for a parking spot a mere 20 feet closer to the door to open up.  It's no wonder why America is the fattest and unhealthiest country in the world.

And, yes, fast food places cause pollution and obesity, plus they have destroyed our food.  We must boycott them and choose organic to affect change!

Here's a related hub I wrote on this.  The movie, Food, Inc. discusses the negative impact that McDonalds has on our food sources.

http://hubpages.com/hub/Top-Movies-Abou … and-Health

4. Alternative Prime profile image76
    Alternative Primeposted 7 years ago

I think "Convenience" is the number one reason for their popularity.

"Fast Food Quality" over the past decades has been no less than questionable, however appropriate Federal Government Agencies have begun to monitor and enact pertinent new recommendations in an effort to chart a new path of providing a healthier menu of choices for the consumer. Some franchises are actually cleaning up their act without agency pressures as a proactive measure.

For instance many Potato Chip manufacturers started reducing or eliminating unhealthy saturated fats in their products a few years ago.

5. ExpandYourMind profile image74
    ExpandYourMindposted 7 years ago

As others have stated, convenience plays a large role.  In addition, most fast food franchises represent consistency.  A Big Mac from Michigan tastes the same as a Big Mac from a restaurant in California.  Since a lot of fast food fare is fried, obesity can be considered a by-product if you don't have a healthy lifestyle otherwise.

6. yenajeon profile image81
    yenajeonposted 7 years ago

No, because the food is fast, greasy and delicious!
    And yes, it is certainly adding to the obesity epidemic!

7. Rob Hanlon profile image60
    Rob Hanlonposted 7 years ago

Because the car is an extension of the home and for all the reasons previously mentioned.

8. Wayne Brown profile image83
    Wayne Brownposted 7 years ago

Because since the invention of certain things like the transistor and the microchip, Americans are more and more use to "instanteous gratification" and we want it with the least amount of inconvience. Besides, when we drive and talk on the cell phone, one of our hands is only working part-time...the one driving. So why not use it to eat in the car.  We are in a big ass hurry to go no where.  We sit in airplanes on our cell phones and call someone at the office to tell them that the plane is pushing back from the gate now.  NOBODY GIVES A DAMN!  With all the conveniences and electronics, we as Americans have become a lazy-ass bunch of folks who only use their brains when all else fails.  We were a lot better at what we do when all this stuff was still an idea. And, we were a whole lot less irritating to our fellowman...no wonder there is so much road rage and hate crimes...WB

9. profile image0
    Butch Newsposted 7 years ago

Because the food is cheap, we're all lazy, and we like to entertain ourselves without working up a sweat.

10. Iontach profile image84
    Iontachposted 7 years ago

They are sooo popular as we as humans are lazy buggers and don't want to move up off our asses half of the time...

11. kazemaru2 profile image57
    kazemaru2posted 7 years ago

Mostly because of the convenience and people don't like to cook.

12. BobbiRant profile image61
    BobbiRantposted 7 years ago

McDonaldization of society.  We are always in a hurry, why I don't know.  In a hurry to go basically nowhere.

13. nightwork4 profile image61
    nightwork4posted 7 years ago

i definetly agree with most of the answers. it is becoming absurd how our need to be served quickly has over taken common sense. it's no wonder that we are becoming more and more selfish, lazy and fat. i hate when i'm driving somewhere and i go be a coffee shop or restuarant and see cars lined up out onto the road. it not only shows how lazy we have become but it's an enviromental disaster.

14. profile image53
    fallsfellaposted 7 years ago

It is because of laziness in part...Mom is too lazy to take the time to fix her family a good meal at home so it is much easier to go thru the drive thru and get a couple hamburgers and fries for the kids and shut them up..There is some convenience to them particularly if you are driving for long periods of time you can drive thru, get something to eat and get back on the road but I think al-in-all it is laziness.

working