jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

Are American morals and values in a state of decay? Why?

1. Wayne Brown profile image83
    Wayne Brownposted 7 years ago

2. Rob Hanlon profile image61
    Rob Hanlonposted 7 years ago

Though not just confined to America, it's a global thing.

Why ?

Because the world is so thechnologically advanced in every way that we, as humans, are losing our humanity.

3. tony0724 profile image58
    tony0724posted 7 years ago

Wayne my Brother this is not just an American problem it's a global one. One good look at any newspaper or news site confirms this. I for one believe that we are on the precipice of judgement day.

4. Right On Time profile image62
    Right On Timeposted 7 years ago

Yes - due to intellectual laziness which started in America but really happens everywhere.

5. elielarrey profile image58
    elielarreyposted 7 years ago

sad to say, they are.  Not just american, but the entire world.  And its only going to get worst as time goes by.  I think because, in the old days people relied on 'gentleman behaviors and moral values to protect the community from coarse behavior, now everyone depends on the government and legal customs to protect people from coarse behavior' (D. Todd Christofersen)

6. that one girl profile image79
    that one girlposted 7 years ago

Your question presupposes a positive answer -- you should be asking, "Are American morals and values in a state of decay? Why or why not?"

The real issue with this question is that morals and values are subjective. Obviously, I'm sure we all agree that violence, political corruption, dishonesty, and cruelty are wrong. Things like rape, murder, and torture can never be excused -- unless, of course, it is the enemy. War and suchlike. (disclaimer: I do not agree with the previous statement; it is an example of how values are subjective.)

Which perfectly illustrates that all morals and values are subjective -- to societal mores, upbringing, etc. Person A may find the idea of sleeping with anyone other than their spouse repugnant, but divorce a reasonable solution to an unhappy marriage. Person B, on the other hand, may find the idea of sleeping with other people (with permission) a viable means of adding spice to a relationship, but the idea of divorce is appalling and horrific.

I myself do feel that modern society is having a decline in our values -- mainly, in our educational values, dedication to open-mindedness, and willingness to engage in honest, self-questioning discourse. It seems to be a trend right now to always insist on absolutes, without entertaining the possibility of personal or cultural mistakes.

7. GNelson profile image79
    GNelsonposted 7 years ago

We have a county in Florida that transferred students who were failing into adult ed classes and took them off the high school roles just to increase their graduation percentage.  The county adminstrators cheated to to give themselves a higher mark.  Florida still has one of the lowest gradution rates in the country.  We even failed at cheating.
    What does that say about our morals and values?

Florida also just elected a governor whose company stole billions of dollars from the US government.   He claims that he didn't know about it.  He was CEO.
    What does that tell you about our morals and values?