jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

should accountability be a law for politicians?

1. nightwork4 profile image60
    nightwork4posted 7 years ago

should accountability be a law for politicians?

in 2010 ontario had a scandal involving EHealth. the person in charge was allowed to resign and given a $387,000.00 . she will still recieve a pension for her time working for the government even though the scandal was about fraudulent contracts she awarded to friends.why isn't it a law that she loses everything?

2. Mr. Happy profile image82
    Mr. Happyposted 7 years ago

That is just terrible. No accountability in politics ... it is a rotten system.

3. Wayne Brown profile image84
    Wayne Brownposted 7 years ago

I am not sure that we can come up with a black and white method that fits the premise of law.  Many of us certainly have accountability in our jobs and it is held by our boss or our bosses boss as well. They act on the part of the company to hold us responsible for the results. This is a serious charge and in some instances could cost us our jobs.  In the political arena, this function is not held by an individual but by the voters themselves who in too many cases are not paying attention or have their own self-interest in mind. Therefore, accountability becomes a difficult item to enforce. I believe, as a voting public, we did a better job of it in the recent mid-term elections that we have done in the past but I really do not believe the change came about on the basis of accountability unfortunately.  The best way we can bring it into play in the elected offices of America is to continue to show those running for office that America is awake and watching and that we expect results which I in line with our desire to live within our means.  Amazingly, if we could force a rigid budget on Washington and force those serving there to live within their means, the issue of accountability would not be so much in question. WB

4. nifty@50 profile image75
    nifty@50posted 7 years ago

Amen! The politicians responsible for looting the Social Security System and turning it in to a huge  "Ponzi scheme" should be sharing jail cells right next to Bernie Madoff!

working