jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

A drinking laws much more serious in America than the UK? as in underage etc

1. john.jackson profile image71
    john.jacksonposted 7 years ago

A drinking laws much more serious in America than the UK? as in underage etc

I've heard that in most areas you have to be over 21 and that if you are caught it is taken very seriously? as apposed to the UK

2. mio cid profile image46
    mio cidposted 7 years ago

unfortunatelly  you heard right you have to be over 21 in the us which i believe is the root cause of  most of the alcohol problems in this country

3. nightwork4 profile image61
    nightwork4posted 7 years ago

though it makes no sense, 21 seems to be the common legal drinking age in the U.S. here in canada it's 19. what i find wierd is at 16 you can drive a car, at 18 you can vote for the leader of your country but you still can't drink. very strange concept.

4. DTR0005 profile image84
    DTR0005posted 7 years ago

I tend to agree aith 16 being "too young" to drive. My daughter started driving a year ago. And I was more than a little "frightened" when she got behind the wheel the first time. Still, as her parent, I could have insisted that she be 18 before she started driving.
    I remember when the drinking age, in many states, for beer was 18. There were some problems with highschool seniors going out at lunch and legally having enough drinks to come back to school essentially "drunk." So it's not an easy issue. That being said, 21 seems a little odd given the fact we have soldiers who have had to shoulder the horrors of war yet not be able to "legally" take a drink. America is a land of enigma.

Closed to reply

working