jump to last post 1-11 of 11 discussions (11 posts)

people will be rude to smokers , should we do the same to over weight people?

1. nightwork4 profile image61
    nightwork4posted 7 years ago

people will be rude to smokers , should we do the same to over weight people?

not just because someone is overweight but if they are pigging out on donuts, etc,should people point out that they are causing themselves health problems or should we just grin and bare it.

2. BobbiRant profile image60
    BobbiRantposted 7 years ago

I think neither should have rude comments.  Maybe people need to mind their own business unless someone is smoking in their personal space.  Rudeness never changes anything and it creates anger and resentment.  But a fair question none the less.

3. Right On Time profile image62
    Right On Timeposted 7 years ago

No because that feeds low-self esteem and isn't fair. Health and obesity is a serious problem and needs a more in-depth solution.

4. ptosis profile image72
    ptosisposted 7 years ago

I had a friend who would bellow, "Gluttony is a SIN" - I would retort back to him, "Satan didn't go to hell because he was fat" - Pride comes before the fall...

5. Beege215e profile image65
    Beege215eposted 7 years ago

That is a "nonya"  It's None of your business.  Just because another person is rude does not give you the right to be rude. There are too many rude people in my world already without adding you to the list.  Were we to all step back, mind our own business and be more polite to others, I believe that this might just become a better world.  And I for one  would like my world to be just a little bit better. I sincerely hope you do not find this answer to be rude, that was not my intention.

6. nightwork4 profile image61
    nightwork4posted 7 years ago

i agree mostly with the answers on here. the reason i asked the question is because it was asked of me and i said that if people want to smoke or be overweight it is no ones business but their own. the person said to me that it will cost our health care system to treat these people. my response was that though this might be true, making a person feel like crap is worse then having to spend some money on health care. like Right On Time stated, self esteem is important and lowering somes is just wrong.

7. MikeNV profile image80
    MikeNVposted 7 years ago

Personally I don't care what color people are, how fat they are, if they smoke, etc.

I only care when another persons actions affect me in an adverse way.

8. profile image0
    Old Empresarioposted 7 years ago

No; That would be too much work for even the nosiest busybody. Most of the people in the US are fat and most of the available food is unhealthy.

9. shynsly profile image58
    shynslyposted 7 years ago

Interesting question... as a "non-obese" smoker who fears becoming obese should I quit smoking, lol...

Personally, I agree with the "nunya" theory. Like others have said, what one person chooses to do or not do with their body is nobodies business but their own. What gives someone the "moral high-ground" to justify being rude to someone else whose personal choices they don't like? Could it not be said that being rude in and of itself is worse than smoking or obesity?

It irritates the crap out of me that people and the govt. think they have the right to regulate personal behaviours. Congress knew they couldn't get away with legislating tobacco out of existance, so instead they're taxing it to death. Next will be the junk food. Then Alcohol. Then whatever else they decide they don't like or is "bad for you".

10. Mark Upshaw profile image60
    Mark Upshawposted 7 years ago

All of this rudeness would stop if we were all allowed to carry guns without a permit.

11. profile image51
    Andy the Greatposted 7 years ago

People shouldn't be rude to smokers, and smokers shouldn't be rude to people. I'm a smoker. If a restaurant doesn't have a smoking section, I don't smoke. If I loiter outside a business between completing a transaction, I make sure and walk at least 15 feet away from foot traffic in a place that a non-smoker wouldn't have any business in walking near. I respect their right not to smell my smoke and would hope they respect my right to smoke til I die if I want to.

The same behavior should apply to fat people pigging out. If it's not affecting me directly (such as they're being so messy as to have some bit of food intrude on my personal space), I don't care what they do with themselves.