jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

would you recommend military service to someone?

1. Danette Watt profile image84
    Danette Wattposted 7 years ago

would you recommend military service to someone?

Joining the Navy was one of the best (and scariest) decisions I ever made but it was the right one for me. It gave me direction in my life and I gained skills.

2. Ken Crow profile image59
    Ken Crowposted 7 years ago

Absolutely !  I am so convinced that it is the " right " decision, that I believe " all " young men should serve 2 years in America. It teaches you self-discipline, gives you self-esteem and the biggest one, it creates a sense of patriotism. So, yes, I cannot think of a greater good for self, country and community than that of military service...Good Question....!!

3. Danette Watt profile image84
    Danette Wattposted 7 years ago

Thanks Ken. My husband and I both believe everyone should serve for 2 years in some capacity. If not the military than some organization such as Vista, AmeriCorp etc. My older son is in the Marines now but my younger son can't join the military due to health reasons. But he has always leaned more toward Peace Corps type of service anyway.

4. Wayne Brown profile image82
    Wayne Brownposted 7 years ago

Military service should be something that would benefit the vast majority of young people today. There are many benefits...it breaks the tie with home, the training breaks down and then rebuilds the person, it inspires confidence, creates worldly experience opportunities, allows broad human interaction, and allows one to see how the rest of the world lives...much to be gained from such experience. WB

5. Curtis Aron profile image83
    Curtis Aronposted 7 years ago

As a former soldier, I would definitely recommend military service and have done so in the past.  I was honorable discharged from the Army 13 years ago and to this day, I still see benefits from my service.  I will say that military service is not for everyone and just like anything else, you will get out of it what you put into it.

6. Jonesy0311 profile image62
    Jonesy0311posted 6 years ago

My experience must have been odd. I don't regret my four years in the Marines. Nonetheless, I have never and will never, recommend military service to anyone. If they insist, I steer them toward a technical career in the Air Force or Navy. I have never worked with so many worthless alcoholic ingrates as I did in the military. And no, it wasn't just Marines. I find that many people are drawn to the military who can't make it in the real world. 90% of the good reliable Marines I served with did not re-enlist. Likewise, many of the dirt bags that I used to have to yell at every day are now senior NCOs. As I have said before, the United States no longer deserves the brave men and women who fight for it.