jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Should The Country Impose A Compulsory 2 Years Military Service For All Men Over

1. ngureco profile image83
    ngurecoposted 8 years ago

Should The Country Impose A Compulsory 2 Years Military Service For All Men Over 21 Years Of Age?

2. dabeaner profile image57
    dabeanerposted 8 years ago

Slavery to defend "freedom" does not compute.

3. commisioner profile image55
    commisionerposted 8 years ago

yes and no. i believe all should serve but voluntary is better than forced. as to all men, why not the women as well. women have proved to be great soldiers as of late and i would serve again if they would let me and with men or women

4. jim62367 profile image55
    jim62367posted 7 years ago

With the declining ambition and motivation of today's youth, more of them in their 20's still living at home and not even trying - yes, there should be for all PEOPLE that are not attending college or some similar professional trade type school.  That may help with the rampant laziness sweeping this country's young people.  It would also give them a better attitude towards rules and respect that also seem to have been on the downward swing.  I have seen and heard of other countries doing so, and there seems to be no real problem with it.  If you asked me this question 10 or 20 years ago I would have answered the same as dabeaner did.  but with the decline of our youth today, I have changed my mind, though I am not real fond of the loss of freedom with no choice...

5. profile image0
    Longhunterposted 7 years ago

It would give the youth of today some discipline and motivation, something they are sorely lacking. But, given the lack of American History or it's liberal distortion taught in schools now days, I would have to say no in answer to your question.

Without being taught the historical foundation of this country, they would not know nor care about the country for which they were serving.

6. Jonesy0311 profile image60
    Jonesy0311posted 6 years ago

Before and during my service in the Marine Corps, I would have said yes. But, honestly, it would not work. Such a policy has been causing problems in Israel for years. It's bad enough when you have 10% dirt bags. Mandatory service will beef up the numbers and cripple overall readiness and morale. Plus, I hope that none of my children serve in the military, so I would disagree with a law that required it of them. My family has done enough for this ungrateful nation. The United States no longer deserves the brave men and women who protect it.