jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

What factors are the driving force behind the current unrest in Egypt?

1. Wayne Brown profile image83
    Wayne Brownposted 7 years ago

What factors are the driving force behind the current unrest in Egypt?

2. sir slave profile image60
    sir slaveposted 7 years ago

Well wayne, its mostly the oppresion thing. Mubarak(and saddat before him) were rather brutal at times. Egypt is a thriving diverse country, with a big tourist economy(everything is in the nile valley)
    and yearly production of some 40 billion dollars  worth of  crude oil. they also use that much ..... the main reason I see is that the majority of the population(according to NPR) is living on about 100 a month. many have been forced from their homes as oil prices syrocketed(and effected eygpt's inflation) in 08'
    at least several million people were driven from the middle class this way,(during the oughts) into shanty towns and goatskin tents in the desert.   Us interests account 20% of oil production in egypt, but they have already paid off those who would benefit and the money doesnt go to the poor in anyway(like in alaska)  check my hub.."Egypt, apache oil and the rise of arab nationalism"
    sir slave

3. ptosis profile image82
    ptosisposted 7 years ago

What is the US foreign policy about Egypt's current uprising? US VP, Joe Biden says that Egypt's Mubarak is no dictator & that he shouldn't step down  - but the Egyptians call for the overthrow of the Egyptian president and demand a change in US foreign policy that they said keeps Mubarak in power.

SSDD

4. profile image0
    bhaveshdhanani03posted 7 years ago

Only dictatorship of Mubarak led him to worst situation. Fuel was already present as Mubarak has taken all civil rights from civilian.Tunisian incidence played the roll of Spark.

5. peterxdunn profile image59
    peterxdunnposted 7 years ago

Poverty, oppression, lack of opportunity, a sham democracy, corruption and a ruling elite who openly flaunts the wealth that they stole from the Egyptian people. Did I leave anything out?

What our governments can do to force Murbarak out: freeze all Egyptian assets held in banks around the world.

working