jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Is it right for any government to shut down the internet for whatever reasons?

1. MercuryNewsOnline profile image76
    MercuryNewsOnlineposted 7 years ago

Is it right for any government to shut down the internet for whatever reasons?

2. caltex profile image60
    caltexposted 7 years ago

No.  20 years ago, it would probably not have mattered.  In this day and age, however, when a lot of businesses rely so much on the internet, it could be catastrophic.

3. Lindy's World profile image76
    Lindy's Worldposted 7 years ago

No, it isn't right for any Government to shut down the Internet, cell phone services or any other forms of communication.  This, in my opinion is not only a form of censorship but a human rights violation.  People have the right to express their opinions, thoughts and beliefs.  We may not always agree with them but we all have that right.  In fact, that was one of the factors that led to the formation of our country.

4. Wayne Brown profile image84
    Wayne Brownposted 7 years ago

It is not just a question of right or wrong, it's more a question of what kind of government do you want to live under.  If we continue to follow the path that some in this country want, government will be involved in every phase of our lives and our rights under the Constitution will slowly diminish to where they do not exist.  When you reach that point, those in power in government, don't give a tinker's damn as to whether you think it is "right" or "wrong"...you don't count.  That is the reason we protect our Constitutional rights, that is the reason we fight to stay free and live under a democratic approach. Those things don't just happen naturally and we, as a public, cannot leave it to our government institutions to protect those rights...they are ours and ours alone to protect.  Don't wait until the government takes your internet to question what is "right" or "wrong". WB

5. nightwork4 profile image61
    nightwork4posted 7 years ago

no it isn't but after wikileaks i wouldn't be surprised if some don't try. a few more sites like that one and i'm sure that one or two " free countries" are going to suddenly take away the freedom of the internet.

Closed to reply

working