Why HealthCare Shouldn't Have Been An Issue Since Obama Was Elected

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Mick Murdockposted 14 years ago

Of all the social issues that I have observed since during the 2008 Presidential Elections, I have come to believe that HealthCare should not have been an major issue for this country. I have always believed that our HealthCare here in America was fine just the way it was. That is, until the Democrats within the national government made it a major issue.

With all due respect and honor for our new President, Barack Obama, I truly believe that him and his administration making HealthCare a major concern in the United States was a wrong choice for presidential action. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't a mistake, but a wrong choice to be concerned about. According to all the reports and rumors I've heard from various sources concerning our nation's HealthCare, it (HealthCare) was doing fine. Even under the Bush Administration it was fine just the way it was. But now, Obama, including all of the Democrats in the federal government, think that by having the government intervene in HealthCare issues, it will help stabalize HealthCare. What some people don't understand is that this is another form of a government "take over" of the people's lives. In other words, the new Deomcratic government wants to tell the people how they should manage their HealthCare. And that's wrong because that's called being politically corrected, which is not and should not be part of the American way of life. Bottome Line: Most Democrats in office believe in a strong central government. And again, that's wrong.

And now, HealthCare has become a major issue here in America, not because it was doing bad in the past, but because Obama and his fellow Democrats in the federal government are trying to run our HealthCare as they see fit. Only we the American people should choose how to run our HealthCare by making the right choices to eat healthy and exercise at least two times a week. And if we do make those right choices to eat healthy and exercise, then maybe, just maybe, we may not need to worry about our HealthCare expenses.

1. Michael Willis profile image66
      Michael Willisposted 14 years agoin reply to this

If that was all it took to have a healthy life. I live in the real world of things that happen. Exercise and eating habits are not the only health issue. Healthcare is a Major issue.

2. egiv profile image60
      egivposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It's easy to say that when the healthcare system has been good to YOU. When YOU have had no problems with it, it is easy to believe that nobody else has. In reality, it is a flawed system, and Obama is the first to stand up for ALL Americans, even the ones who have more to worry about than posting on Hubpages. When did eating well and exercising stop someone from getting cancer? (uhm, Lance Armstrong?)

2. profile image0
    Leta Sposted 14 years ago

Again, appreciate the serious post.  And thank you for not dragging Glen Beck style attacking rhetoric into your words...heck, thanks for using YOUR words. 

I understand the conservative's concerns regarding government interference in peoples' lives.  I question whether or not that concern is well-founded ,however.  I also would be one to question the corporate interference (and it's many arms), in peoples' lives, too.  (Private insurance is about profit and does not work so well...many will attest.)

Bottom line for ME is that adequate health care for all people would be the fulfillment of a human right.  This right for ALL people, even those who cannot afford good insurance.  And no, preventative medicine will NOT solve all problems. See the post by Georgiakevin about the 20 year old girl with a brain tumor, ie.

The truth is, the fearful 'ideas' being hashed out here on Hubpages, mostly, I feel are instilled and stoked by business interests.  Some within the health care industry have strong profit motive not to have things changed.  However, not all things are about profit.  I think Colin Powell said it best, when he quit the Bush administration and endorsed Obama.  And many moderates see this-- that there are certain entitlements that we recognize, that government has core function in.  Some of those things include free education for all, infrastructure, Social Security for retirees.  The time has come when health care should be recognized among these.  Indeed, we are one of the few westernized countries that do not recognize health care, basically, as a human right due all people.

3. profile image0
    Leta Sposted 14 years ago

Dare everyone to read--and then discuss here!  In a tone similar to the OP.

(Hopefully I don't need to explain that the last sentence?)

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)