jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Should we be critisizing Obama over Libia?

1. yankeeintexas profile image59
    yankeeintexasposted 6 years ago

Should we be critisizing Obama over Libia?

Why is nobody critisizing Obama for taking action in Libia like they did towards George W. Bush over Iraq?

2. zduckman profile image59
    zduckmanposted 6 years ago

YES,
    This is the same scenario. What gives us the right to go into a sovereign nation and try and overthrow their leader. Reverse the scenario and it seems crazy...yet we do this time and time again. THAT is why there is terrorism against the U.S., not just because extremists hate the west. We are hated for our actions. We are hated for the 500,000 dead civilians we have left littering the streets of Iraq, in the name of "liberating the people". Well with liberation like that ...I would take good 'ol oppression any day.

must see documentaries (most on youtube)

why we fight
    taxi to the dark side
    no end in sight
    the corporation

3. nightwork4 profile image62
    nightwork4posted 6 years ago

i guess because bush did it under the premise of WMD and obama is doing it to help people who he thinks needs his help. both leaders are wrong but that doesn't change that it happened. all i know is that i had hoped obama had learned from bush's mistakes but that obviously isn't the case.

4. GavNugent profile image79
    GavNugentposted 6 years ago

Not really. This was a "damned if he did-damned if he didnt scenario". If he didn't take action, he would have been accused of standing idly by while civilians and rebels were slaughtered. This was even more true when Britain and France started pushing the no-fly zone. The US had to take the lead on the operation when the UN resolution was passed, they had the expertise and equipment to do it. I would wait and see the outcome before criticizing Obama.

5. profile image48
    in the wordposted 6 years ago

i am...i think it is crap...it is the same thing bush did..none of our politicians have the guts to stand up for what is right anymore.. everybody is worried about hurting someones feelings..you know what if we are going in to a country and are at war..we should start at one end of the darn thing and move to the other desamating the whole thing just be done whith it... no more fighting over OIL or Terioist or anything else...go in with the right atatuid and come out on the other side with a better world...no more of this political crap and story telling by our officials...every one has an excuse...but no one is willing to really fix these type of problems..so in short i blame the media...

6. junkseller profile image85
    junksellerposted 6 years ago

Bush didn't have UN authority to invade Iraq. The Iraq invasion was largely unilateral. There was no clear goal or plan. It was a massive campaign involving land, sea, and air forces. It was theoretically about preemptive self-defense.

The Libya operation has UN authority. It is a multilateral operation (which includes both NATO and the Arab League). It has a relatively clear and simple goal. It is a limited campaign. It's intent is to prevent military forces from slaughtering civilians.

The only way they are similar is if similar means they are complete opposites.

working