jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

Does anyone have any opinions on Ron Paul?

1. David Warren profile image81
    David Warrenposted 7 years ago

Does anyone have any opinions on Ron Paul?

I am not well versed politically,   I have been studying the political game as some recent hubs I've read sparked renewed interest. I am just another confused, fed up with the system voter.

2. Credence2 profile image80
    Credence2posted 7 years ago

As a conservative and so called libertarian, he is generally far too much to the right for my tastes. But I like much of the libertarian stance for less involvement in foreign affairs and a reduced military expediture. I presume that you speak of the father and not the new senator, his son, from Tennessee.

3. David Warren profile image81
    David Warrenposted 7 years ago

Thank you!  Yes, I was referring to the father. I appreciate your insight and your answer.

4. profile image0
    Old Empresarioposted 7 years ago

I thought it was unfair how the other republican candidates tried to make him look stupid in the 2008 presidential campaign. He was the only candidate who ever said anything interesting.

5. .josh. profile image60
    .josh.posted 6 years ago

Ron Paul's a pretty interesting guy, and I like him far more than his GOP opponent Michele Bachmann (who's toast as far as I'm concerned, following these events: http://motherjones.com/politics/2011/07 … en-suicide ), but the Tea Party in general scares the absolute hell out of me.

He's actually a rather sensible guy, but the newest members have really perversed what his party initially stood for; this idea that we need leaders who can relate to everyday people has turned into actual everyday 'common folk' who are unqualified - and, in some cases, flat-out unintelligent (see: Michele Bachmann or Christine O'Donnell) - representing the party, and horrifyingly sometimes getting elected. What results is the kind of thing you have in Minnesota right now with Bachmann, who put all her focus on battling the 'homosexual agenda' in schools, and consequently created a huge spike in the teen suicide rate in her district.

Honestly, I like Ron Paul, and I think he provides a refreshing, very logical perspective in many cases (there are times I agree with him - I used to work in the service industry, for example, so I love his argument that tips shouldn't be taxed!), but his party scares the absolute bejeezus out of me.

6. brooklyn00123 profile image60
    brooklyn00123posted 6 years ago

Ron Paul is THE TRUTH. He is our last hope to save this country. He's not afraid to speak the truth and to speak on what actually matters. He is the only candidate, from what I have seen or heard, that doesn't seem to be a puppet. He talks about the issues everyone else is scared to and he is ridiculed for it and made to look crazy so don't listen to the media's negativity towards him, they are simply scared.

7. Attikos profile image80
    Attikosposted 6 years ago

Paul is an antiestablishmentarian. Functionally, his campaign is a channel for protest votes from a libertarian perspective. His odds of getting the nomination are somewhat less than those of a potted fern, but that he's in the race at all gives some hope to people who agree with his view of what the good society would look like.

People tend to like his proposals when they look into them because he, more closely than anyone else out there in politics today, represents American sociopolitical ideals. The world of the United States, however, is radically different from those principles. As a whole we give them lip service while shying away from them in practice. That makes us hypocrites, and it also frightens most of us when confronted by Paul's views. Not many Americans want to recognize the gulf between what we preach and what we do, and even fewer have the courage to envision an America other than that of the status quo. Paul describes such a potential America, and he does it in plausible language. That scares the living daylights out of people unable to see past the comfortable present.

working