jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

What is your explanation for the racial imbalance in prison populations?

1. W.W. Wickett profile image35
    W.W. Wickettposted 6 years ago

What is your explanation for the racial imbalance in prison populations?

Black men by far dominate the prison populations. Is this because of systemic racial profiling by the justice system or a sign of cultural weakness or a reflection of the opportunities available to black men? My answer is systemic profiling in the justice system. I forget the exact stat, but it goes something like a black man is 5 times more likely to be pulled over for drug suspicion but a white man is far more likely to be holding when pulled over.

2. nightwork4 profile image59
    nightwork4posted 6 years ago

it's because blacks commit the most crimes. it has nothing to do with racial issues, it's just a fact of life. even my friends that are black will tell you the same thing.

3. feenix profile image61
    feenixposted 6 years ago

The primary reason why a disproportionate number of blacks are behind bars is the following:

Although blacks account for only about 12% of the U.S. population, more than 40% of violent crimes (murder, forcible rape and aggravated assault) are committed by blacks.

And the primary reason why blacks have a higher-than-average rate of violent crime is most of the members of their society still think like slaves. They suffer from a condition that I call the Plantation Syndrome.

4. mingsjourney profile image51
    mingsjourneyposted 6 years ago

Unfortunately, prejudice towards blacks is still highly prevalent.  There are many circumstances where they still won't get hired for jobs  based on their color, and the same prejudice holds true  in the justice system.

If a robbery occurred and a bystander sees a black guy and non black leaving the bank- who do you think will get accused?

5. JON EWALL profile image73
    JON EWALLposted 6 years ago

When sometimes 50+% young men and women drop out of school and don't have a   high school education, the FUTURE FOR THEM is poverty. Poverty is the road to prison for many who will always be poor.

Political groups will use RACISM for an excuse. Society has failed in accepting a portion of the blame. A teacher made a statement in a local paper when discussing the failure of the school system. She said '' if we would be paid more, we could teach better ''.REALLY, what a statement to use as an excuse for not doing her job of teaching our youth.