Do you think Americans still have racial tensions and is having ...

Jump to Last Post 1-18 of 18 discussions (44 posts)
  1. lovelypaper profile image60
    lovelypaperposted 12 years ago

an African American president made it worse or better in your opinion?

1. lady_love158 profile image61
      lady_love158posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I think race relations have never been better! After all we elected a black (all right half black) president... he didn't get elected with just minorities voting for him. Everywhere I go I see black and white couples, and kids immitating black artists and fashion and whites with black heroes in sports and entertainment. The whole race issue is something liberals have used as a tool to advance their agenda and to limit discourse on the issues. It's artificial!

1. Hugh Williamson profile image76
        Hugh Williamsonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I hadn't heard.

Thanks for clearing that up.

You're welcome! I'm just doing the job the main stream media won't do! Lol

2. Ralph Deeds profile image64
        Ralph Deedsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Or in WI.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/report- … tate-fair/

But I wouldn't claim that either of these incidents represents the feelings of a majority of Americans. The left however would have us all believe if not for them there would still be slavery, when the exact opposite is fact. It was dems that tried to protect slavery, and it was the states, particularly the northern states that fought against FEDERAL GOVERNMENT SUPPORT of slavery prior to the civil war!

3. TMMason profile image60
        TMMasonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yup.

But don't you know the leant Left traitors will stir up all the supposed racism they can for the coming election.

4. EpowerGuy profile image61
        EpowerGuyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yeah. Just like the relationships between genders, say, in the workplace have been equalized so men and women all make the same money for the same work ... what hogwash. Here is the multiculturism silliness again. What ever you do don't make me feel bad about what I get! It's not my fault. If all those other people would just fix their problems my world would be so wonderful!!

2. cooldad profile image60
      cooldadposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I've always been confused as to why he refers to himself as "African-American".  Well, that's not exactly truthful, that got him more votes.  I think he really is what people call a "mulatto".  I'm not trying to be insensitive with my phrasing, but I don't know what else to call someone who is half black and half white.  It's odd to me that he chose to prop up his African heritage, when in fact it was his African father who abandoned him and his mother when he was a child.  That's sad to me.  That part of his culture made is life much harder than it had to be.  I'm not suggesting he forget about his heritage, but at least be more truthful about it.

3. Greek One profile image63
      Greek Oneposted 12 years agoin reply to this

there is no racial tension in America...

that is a stinking crazy lie made up my the minorities!

2. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 12 years ago

I think the U.S. definitely has racial tension, but I also believe things are getting better with every generation. I think Obama has had a mixed effect.

1. Ralph Deeds profile image64

There are still plenty of racial tensions and prejudice in America, but as Habee said, things are getting better with every generation. The Black Panthers have disappeared, we haven't had an inner city riot lately, support for the Black Muslims appears to be waning in the African American community. Inner city ghettos with all their problems may not be getting better.

1. profile image0
        klarawieckposted 12 years agoin reply to this

And part of the reason why these ghettos are not coming out of their stagnant economic and social situation is because the government is finding ways to continue supporting their behavior. Too many programs in effect that are meant to help the poor but they're not targetting the reason why there is poverty, which in many if not most cases it's due to substance abuse and lack of responsibility overall.

3. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image81
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 12 years ago

Hatred or "tension" between races is a learned behavior.

Where does it come from?

Parents?  If so, where did they get it?

I believe that the criminal scum that controls the mass media in the Western World works day and night to inflame every single problem that humans have between themselves.

4. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 12 years ago

As most of you know, I was a big McCain fan, but when Obama won, I wrote a letter to the editor of a local newspaper encouraging people to give BO a chance. I said that even if you didn't vote for him, he's now your president. I was shocked when a colleague said, after reading my letter in the paper, "I can't believe we're going to have a leftie n***** running this country." This was from a well educated young woman with a Ph.D.! I had never heard her use that kind of language before.

5. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 12 years ago

Racial tensions?

I wrote a hub about America and Racism. It's called "Multiple Types of Racism In America" and outlines more than one type of racism.

Some people seem to arrogantly think that racism is one-sided or only between white and blacks, and it's simply untrue.

6. Hugh Williamson profile image76
    Hugh Williamsonposted 12 years ago

I think that electing a black president with white support showed the best side of the U.S. but I also think that since then, there is evidence of some residual bigotry. Sometimes it's hard to know the motive behind the rhetoric -- is it just political or maybe a little racial?

That aside, I have to believe that when minority children see a minority president on TV night after night, it must have a positive effect on them and that will make a better future for all.

So the election has improved us, but it may not show up for some time.

7. S Leretseh profile image59
    S Leretsehposted 12 years ago

America today is a collection of many racial and ethnic groups. I hv absolutely no problem with that. However, my extensive research on inter-racial crime ... tells me that virtually all of the violent inter-racial crime in America ... is black on white (about about 98.9%!). The volume of crimes blacks have committed against white people since integration was created in 1964, I believe, has had a great deal to do with the terribly high unemployment level of blacks today. Either white people are going to start to "brave up" and address black racism & hate, or they are going to continue to be victimized (the white victim's list I have created on another wed site continues to astound me in not only the vast numbers of white victims but also the gut-wrenching brutality of the crimes).

I think high black crime rates is a direct result of liberal policies that encourage the destruction of black families and a dependency on government as well as a sense of entitlement as a result of past wrongs like slavery and discrimination. Also you'll find black in black crime is high too so I dont think the black on white crime is all racial in nature.

1. S Leretseh profile image59
        S Leretsehposted 12 years agoin reply to this

"I think high black crime rates is a direct result of liberal policies"

With all due respect lady_love, this is just WRONG.  Those "liberal policies" you speak of are not just made avail. to only those of African descent.  If what you're suggesting is true all racial groups should be doing what black males are doing.  They're not.

How in the heck can liberal policies explain this:

http://blogs.chicagotribune.com/news_co … /king.html
        I can cite these by the hundreds.

"as a result of past wrongs like slavery and discrimination. "

I will continue to caution white people of the danger of doing this! Slavery was certainly a wrong.  But only about 1% of all Americans (north & south) actually owned slaves.  In the South in 1860, about 10% of all free blacks owned slaves. Over 600,000 white males died because of slavery.  It ended.  That was a good thing.  NO REASON FOR WHITE PEOPLE TO ACCEPT GUILT FOR THIS TODAY. The guilt tripping is what has to STOP. 

Blacks were a completely FREE people, free to build their own cities, their own towns, or colonize a place in America (i.e. create their own political environments).  Blacks should NOT be allowed to escape these plan facts. What has been accomplished (white and black) by white people submitting to guilt-tripping? 

Discrimination? White people employed blacks by the millions in 1960. Blacks employed virtually no white people (this is pretty much unchanged today).  These jobs provided by white people  fed and housed blacks.  White people were under absolutely no LEGAL obligation to hire blacks.  They did it because blacks needed the jobs (it was the Christian thing to do). White people also donated incalculable amounts of time and money trying to help blacks to better their lives. The discrimination you speak of is not just  tired cliche' but largely a myth.  White people deserve to be congratulated for all they've done and all they've tried to do for the black race. Blacks hv a very short memory on this score (I'm here to remind them tho).

"black on black crime is high too"

Black on black crime is at epidemic proportions.  Again, the same liberal policies are there for every other racial group.

2. Ralph Deeds profile image64

Of course, the main social and economic problem of the US is blacks victimizing whites. Sad, isn't it?

8. EpowerGuy profile image61
    EpowerGuyposted 12 years ago

The lack of responsibility for the jobs they can't get because of a obstacles they didn't make and don't like? Or the readiness of certain drugs that catch the media's attention while the rest of us drink and pop pills in private? Sure, mistakes breed mistakes too, but one should not blame them all on the victims. Just about every inequity in existence in our culture is tied to one's gender, race and socio-economic status. That has nothing to do with the viewpoints and powers of a few over those of others? I suspect you might think again.

1. profile image0
      klarawieckposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm not blaming the victims, Epower... I'm saying the government is to blame, for not going deep enough into the problem. I understand the inequities. I came to the US as a teenager with my mother and it was the church the one that donated our first few months of meals and used furniture. I know what it's like to live in poverty, but even then I knew that the foodstamps and the charity was not something to live off, but to get by for a period of time. Lack of responsibility is sending your child to school all dirty and unfed. I teach in an inner city school and see it every day. You can take the horse to the water but you can't make him drink. The problem is not being solved, and the kids are the ones paying the consequences. The time will come when they'll start acting like their parents. It's very sad.

2. S Leretseh profile image59

"The lack of responsibility for the jobs they can't get because of a obstacles they didn't make and don't like?"

You are inciting this group with rhetoric like that.  Blacks demanded a societal anomaly be created  - just for them.  They are the only male group in human history to mk such a demand (for integration into another male group).  The plain fact is that white Christian males created the integration system the blacks sought.  It was  - and remains - a social engineering experiment.  White people need to be congratulated for tryign a societal structure unprecedented in human history.  My research has shown that it is blacks who have not responded on every level of this new system.  White people ,, as a group, have did everything humanly possible to try to mk this societal anomaly - since 1964 -  work.  And at a tremendous cost I might add - into the many many  trillions. This has been ONE very costly experiment- money and human lives.

sir, I suspect you might think again.

"They are the only male group in human history to mk such a demand (for integration into another male group)."

That statement is not accurate. Each wave of immigrants faced obstacles toward getting jobs and assimilating into their new community. They suffered employment discrimination, ghettoized housing, social ostracism, education discrimination (poor schools and discrimination in college admissions). Blacks suffered even more because they had to come from slavery in a couple of generations and because their different appearance was permanent, and it inspired fear and prejudice on the part of people like you Leretseh.

3. lady_love158 profile image61

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoxQbnVx … ata_player

How about the jobs they don't get because of obstacles THEY create?

Brilliant come back lady_love!

Here is what is happening all over America today!  On another site I'"ve begun clocking these events (black pack attacks - link below) .  25 black pack attacks on businesses and innocent white people since February..  There is no way to prevent these organized "blackberry" attacks!  They will destroy a local economy!  Only blacks , Eric Holders people, are doing this.
        http://crimeblog.dallasnews.com/archive … s-bea.html

NOTE: the completely senseless beat down of the young white male, ganged up on, sucker punched, stomped on ...

9. profile image0
    Emile Rposted 12 years ago

I think racial tension is worse, but not as overt. Many whites think they can speak out their prejudices more openly because we have a president of African descent.  My own brother wrote am embarrassing letter to the local paper with what I considered racial overtones. It produced a very nice pile of snow from the local DOT blocking our shared driveway during every snowstorm last year.

I've had to deal with prejudice myself. My husband's father is of latino heritage. Born and raised in Texas, a war hero; yet people treat him with less respect because he isn't white. My own family can't quite understand that my husband was born and raised in the states, because his last name isn't Smith or Jones. Ignore the fact that he doesn't know a word of spanish, they feel he is a foreigner because his skin tone is slightly darker.

Prejudice is alive and well in America today. It's simply hidden a little better.

10. EpowerGuy profile image61

wow. "My research ...." We white folks have not did all we think is humanly possible, not perhaps we shouldn't have for much of the lack of humanity we inflicted and continued to inflict on others. One of the benefits of making an unjust system is it just keeps reproducing its product and then we can blame others for their existence. Sad indeed.

Sir, you do love to wallow in self hate. Nothing I can say to you will change your opinion of white people - your people - being the scourge of humanity.  No other people on planet earth malign their own group like white people.  Where was this stuff learned from?  My guess TV / hollywood. I suggest u get therapy my friend.

BTW, The unjust system is what the DEMS created (and LBJ) in 1964 thru 1968.

1. EpowerGuy profile image61
        EpowerGuyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hope your gov supported healthcare covers tea overdose. Clearly a koolaide sucker.

11. Lady_E profile image62
    Lady_Eposted 12 years ago

It might have decreased a bit but it will always be there and not just in America.

I was particularly upset while watching a documentary about how some Latino's are being treated in America. So much so they didn't like leaving their houses.

Very sad....  sad

12. EpowerGuy profile image61

At least James Watkins piece is intellectual racism. This, on the other hand ... "on innocent white people"?

Again, ___guy, you enjoy wallowing in racial self hate.  NOTHING will prevent you from maligning your own people.  But, YES dude, the white male in my posted link above was "innocent", so was this dude below (in June 2011), who was ganged up on by 8 blacks ...for no other reason than the color of his skin!

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/5490230.jpg

On and on the victim's list goes...

13. knolyourself profile image61
    knolyourselfposted 12 years ago

If it were not for blacks, who would you compare yourself as better than?

14. EpowerGuy profile image61

Cooldad, as nice as you are trying to be, this comment and questioning how he identifies himself is enormously insensitive and disempowering to people who have been so treated for eons. Just a heads up. This is a key factor in multiculturalism, FYI.

15. knolyourself profile image61
    knolyourselfposted 12 years ago

Racism is a tool called 'divide and conquer'.

16. profile image57
    Arcjahadposted 12 years ago

He calls himself black because that's what he looks like a mulatto is nothing but a light skinned black person the sad part is in this country you have to be identified by instead of your accomplishment but that's how a white dominant society works . But truthfully I think he is ashamed of his white half because he made sure he married and had kids by a dark skinned woman and the struggles he had because of his black side only made him stronger

Arcjahad ... has ZERO hubs.  Hmmm

It is HUMAN nature - a completely normal and natural thing - for a person to identify with a racial group.   In Africa, EVERY AFRICAN male identifies with his own tribe. They all live among their own tribal people. They work among their tribal people. Integration and tribal tolerance - to my knowledge -  has NEVER happened over there in Africa.

"ight skinned black person the sad part is in this country you have to be identified by instead of your accomplishment"

You mean like when Johnnie Cockran opened his law office in the overwhelming white community of Century City ((CA), and hired ONLY blacks - 14 of them.

Or like the city of Compton, that has 35% Black and 65% Hispanic population,  yet blacks - Eric Holder's people - have ALL the political seats and more than 80% of the city patronage jobs.(this overt racism has been going on for more than 13 years )

Or like when racist black male Eddie Jordan (New Orleans DA) fired all  his white employees ( 42 of 43 were white - one hispanic) when he took office...and then hired only blacks to replace them

I can go on and on here...

Why don't you throw in a couple of lynchings of blacks while you're at it. And the white's only GOP's effort to suppress black votes.

Ralph, you're just not very informed, are you?  Blacks that were lynched (murder, rape ) ... that was done prior to the 1960.  In fact only a few blacks were lynched after the 1930s.  My extensive research tells me that most of the lynched blacks reported by the Tuskegee Institute from 1882 to 1960, were in fact lynched by blacks.

As for GOP's efforts to suppress black votes, WHERE  ON EARTH did you get that piece of nonsense?!

Most blacks were lynched by blacks. Please describe your extensive research. Did your information come from your local KKK chapter library? Here's an impartial source that doesn't mention anything about blacks lynching blacks. It does mention the KKK and other white organizations.

GOP efforts to suppress black and other likely Dem votes have been widely reported in the main stream media.  Here's the first report from a quick Google search (not MSM)

http://www.campusprogress.org/articles/ … ._coffman/

http://www.blackcommentator.com/168/168 … oting.html

Here's a recent NYtimes editorial
            http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/27/opini … amp;st=cse

http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2008 … scp=1&

http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2008 … amp;st=cse

17. Wayne Brown profile image80
    Wayne Brownposted 12 years ago

I have never lived under the assumption that any elected official, be they black, white, or whatever would necessarily accomplish anything in terms of relieving the racial tension that is always there at some level i believe. The reason for that is that it is basically a cottage industry in which a handful of folks are making money off of it just as they are in the environmental business. That is one of the reasons that they dynamics of racism is continually changing...those who benefit from it cannot afford for tranquility to be attained. Therefore, some level of conflict and turmoil has to be created.  The only thing which will cure racism is education and instill in people to think for themselves and have empathy for their fellow man.  Until that time, things will continue in the status quo. WB

18. EpowerGuy profile image61

I'm sure you can go on and on and on .... but do you have anything worth saying? Pick a few examples in the face of centuries of exploitation, systematic, which still means that how much you make, how long you live, how much schooling you have, where you live, how successful you can become, how much money you make, etc., etc. (I can go on and on) is all tied statistically to your race and gender more than just about anything else. And yet we don't have a racist or gender unjust society of "white people," right?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)