jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

At what price was a gallon of gas when you turned 18? Or had your first car?

1. ptosis profile image81
    ptosisposted 6 years ago

At what price was a gallon of gas when you turned 18? Or had your first car?

For me = $1

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/5030203_f260.jpg

2. turgeo2004 profile image59
    turgeo2004posted 6 years ago

1.45 a gallon if i remember correctly back in 1994 when i was apx 17 (texas panhandle)

3. Wayne Brown profile image83
    Wayne Brownposted 6 years ago

If my memory serves me correctly, it was around 35 cents a gallon. You could get around three gallons for a dollar. Even then, I can remember my mother complaining about me running around in the family car on Saturday night..."you can't be running all over town in that car...not with gas at 35 cents a gallon! LOL!  Of course, in that day, one dollar bought far more than it does today or probably ever will again. WB

4. GNelson profile image78
    GNelsonposted 6 years ago

I've seen 19 cents a gallon gas when there was a gas war going on.  Gas wars were price competion between gas stations.  You don't see them anymore and that price is long gone.

5. profile image0
    Poetic Foolposted 6 years ago

If I recall, and this is a ballpark figure, it had to be around 65 cents a gallon.  Adjusted for inflation, that would be about $2.15 now.  So, clearly, the rise in gas prices has outpaced inflation.

6. Inventurist profile image78
    Inventuristposted 6 years ago

27 cents a gallon! Dad said when the price of gas gets to 75 cents we would sell our cars and ride bikes. We actually got rid of the Plymouth Fury III and bought a Mercury Comet. Mileage went from 12 to 18mpg.1/3 more! Ha.

7. feenix profile image60
    feenixposted 6 years ago

I turned 18 way back in 1964, and at that time, the price of gasoline was hovering around 27 cents a gallon.

working