jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

When is being "intolerant" a good thing?

1. SlenderHope profile image52
    SlenderHopeposted 6 years ago

When is being "intolerant" a good thing?

2. HattieMattieMae profile image60
    HattieMattieMaeposted 6 years ago

When you just decided you don't want to take part in the negativity anymore and walk away from it!  When you've had enough of it and move on! Instead of participating in it. We are in situations every day. We can walk away from in the moment and come back when things are different. smile

3. Borsia profile image44
    Borsiaposted 6 years ago

There are almost as many things we should be intolerant of as there are not.
    Crime as an example. Laws are really little more than a list of things we shouldn't tolerate. Bad behavior in general is something we shouldn't tolerate.
    The fact is we are far too tolerant and it is coming back to bite us. Look at the education system, once one of the best in the world and now a disgrace largely because we tolerate bad behavior.
    The national debt, and state debts, because we tolerate outrageous spending and corruption.
    Being tolerant is often just an excuse for being weak.

4. SlenderHope profile image52
    SlenderHopeposted 6 years ago

I don't know if it's "kosher" to answer your own questions here, but I think there is much that it is actually quite good to be "intolerant" of and that would, in my world, include being intolerant of people who too readily claim victimhood.  We're taught never to have a negative thing to say about folks who have joined the victim class and who, in doing so, become burdens on the rest of us.  This includes so-called "oppressed minorities" (racial, gender, and sex orientation). Over-compensated government union workers are the latest, most publicized class of "victims".