jump to last post 1-12 of 12 discussions (12 posts)

If you have the opportunity, would you choose to be immortal?

1. WindMaestro profile image60
    WindMaestroposted 6 years ago

If you have the opportunity, would you choose to be immortal?

2. d-richie93 profile image60
    d-richie93posted 6 years ago

This a a tough one and my answer would be yes i would . Having super powers would be just plain awesome

3. Bretsuki profile image80
    Bretsukiposted 6 years ago

If I could be fit and well, retain all my faculties and still enjoy life. Then yes immortality may be nice.

If immortality came with all the problems of mortality, loss of faculties, diseases and sickness. Then I would prefer to be mortal. 

Death is not that bad, as Woody Allen said, "It's not the fact that I will die that bothers me. It's the HOW!"

4. moiragallaga profile image81
    moiragallagaposted 6 years ago

Now that's a really thought-provoking question. I'm tempted to say yes I would but after giving it a lot of thought, I would rather not be immortal. It may sound cliche and something straight from a movie or a book but I have to consider the fact that I would go through endless cycles of having to bear watching friends and loved ones grow old and die.

5. nikki_m profile image84
    nikki_mposted 6 years ago

Given the choice, I would decline being made immortal. I love life, and I love my friends and family, but being around for even more than one-hundred years seems like an awfully long time to me, I can't imagine being around for thousands or more!

I accept that, being a big dork and quote BSG, for life to have any meaning, it has to end at some point.

6. Jason Oleinik profile image70
    Jason Oleinikposted 6 years ago

The timeless question! I would probably have to say yes.

The obvious downside is that everyone you grow close with will age and die, so you can't truly grow close to anyone and the loss can drive you insane.

However I would really like to see the future and since there's a pretty high chance that death truly is the end and there is nothing else to it, I don't want to stop existing!

7. profile image55
    TajSinghposted 6 years ago

I'd probably say "no". It sound like a good idea from a distance. But if you think about it, it would be a very sad and lonely existence. Your loved ones and friends will pass on while you continue to linger.

8. nightwork4 profile image60
    nightwork4posted 6 years ago

as long as i was healthy and fit like Bretsuki said, then i would love to be immortal.

9. lburmaster profile image82
    lburmasterposted 6 years ago

No. There will come a time when the world will end. Do you want to be alive at that time? To watch people die in fear and pain. Those you care about will no longer live. You will watch everyone you have ever cared about die. With no one to care for, you will become lonely and worthless.

10. someonewhoknows profile image73
    someonewhoknowsposted 6 years ago

My "mind" IS. My body is not in this lifetime at least.
    Immortality IS desirable only FOR a limited time.

11. AwakenedTruth profile image60
    AwakenedTruthposted 6 years ago

Yes I would love to be immortal as long as continue to evolve, and not deteriorate.

12. profile image0
    Marie-AnneLeClercposted 6 years ago

Yes but in an evolved place not here on Earth...