jump to last post 1-13 of 13 discussions (13 posts)

When did society get so stupid as a whole?

1. daskittlez69 profile image75
    daskittlez69posted 6 years ago

When did society get so stupid as a whole?

2. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image96
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 6 years ago

http://abundanthope.net/pages/Ron_71/Du … 3877.shtml

That's a decent article for a look at the subject.

3. profile image0
    klevifushaposted 6 years ago

Great question. I'd say sometime after the 80's. People began getting brainwashed into worshiping materialistic things. Blame it on the media.

4. Jonesy0311 profile image60
    Jonesy0311posted 6 years ago

According to Professor Bauerlein in "The Dumbest Generation" a lot of the problems in education and the utter collapse of intelligence in society can be attributed to the big "self esteem" movement in the 1980s. I am inclined to agree. Of course, we cannot ignore social networking and the fact that technology has essentially removed all social skills from the younger generations.

5. cooldad profile image61
    cooldadposted 6 years ago

I think society has always been a bit stupid, it's just much more noticeable now as we become more technologically advanced.  It's funny to me that the more advanced we are technologically, the more stupid we seem to become.

We are over-stimulated and rely too much on instant gratification.

6. thomasczech profile image67
    thomasczechposted 6 years ago

Seen early on, when Adam and Eve ate the forbidden fruit LOL

7. daskittlez69 profile image75
    daskittlez69posted 6 years ago

lol, you might be on to something there Thomasczexh

8. Dexter Yarbrough profile image84
    Dexter Yarbroughposted 6 years ago

Society got stupid as a whole when humans created it.

9. manthy profile image77
    manthyposted 6 years ago

I think it was around the mid 70s, what is sad is that we will be blamed for it all. Cool Question

10. profile image0
    Old Empresarioposted 6 years ago

Has it ever been anything but; honestly? Some things are getting better in society today. The worst thing that has happened since the days of the 1950s is that nobody reads books--at least not to any great extent. If I'm wrong, why are all of the book distributors going out of business? I don't see any other chains closing up shop in the strip malls. Bed Bath & Beyond, all of the restaurants, Target, Kohls, and all the rest are still alive and well. It's only the book stores that can't get customers in the USA. People just don't know anything about geography or culture. Education must be to blame. TV is to blame as well. So-called "History Channel" line up: Aliens, FBI, pawn shops, outer space, swamp men, Crab fishermen, truckers--is it really the "job channel"? Another thing that has changed since the earlier days is that men and women don't know how to dress themselves anymore--though this is more of a breakdown of the old conventions (which is good), I feel it is important to understand the basics of history and conventions in all facets of life. With dress goes good manners, which people no longer think is important. People are more narcissistic than ever. The old conventions are breaking down and tolerance is improving. But people are content to be ignorant on other important subjects.

11. writeido profile image73
    writeidoposted 6 years ago

I'd say right around and in between the first and second world wars. Some crazy times then.

12. cbl2988 profile image60
    cbl2988posted 6 years ago

It depends on what you mean by "stupid" and why you think society as a whole is "stupid". Societies are neither intelligent nor stupid. Only individuals may be stupid and many have been throughout all history and many will be in the future.

13. CaravanHolidays profile image60
    CaravanHolidaysposted 6 years ago

When it started communicating en masse, then all the stupid people could get together and build on their stupidity unlimited by the restrictions of geography.  (Previously, they could only talk to the other stupid guy in the village)