For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his o

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (28 posts)
  1. jacobkuttyta profile image43
    jacobkuttytaposted 11 years ago

For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?

Most important question to be probed!

2. lemmyC profile image71
    lemmyCposted 11 years ago

This is a very important word from the MASTER - the LORD JESUS CHRIST. It sets the tone of prioritization and value assortment. What do I mean by this? Well, profit is something of benefit and this benefit could have inherent in it some perceived... read more

3. susansisk profile image80
    susansiskposted 11 years ago

Absolutely nothing!  Even if he becomes the President of the United States.

4. profile image0
    Lybrahposted 11 years ago

Right on...why sell your soul to the devil, and enjoy things in this short life, only to burn for an eternity?  I guess some people don't see the big picture, or they don't believe in an afterlife.

1. d.william profile image74
      d.williamposted 11 years agoin reply to this

http://youtu.be/VsmlCoMHi4E
      It is difficult for me, or those with logical thinking and common sense, to understand the impact of religious fear, and guilt, falsely forced on human lives for the sake of control.

2. Jack Burton profile image78
      Jack Burtonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

For d.william... I dunno... logical thinking and common sense says to me that if there is a transcendent, omnipotent and sovereign God who created and sustains us then we should pay attention to what his desires are.

3. d.william profile image74

The operative word in ur comment is "if". I find people tend 2 think it is better 2 say i believe than to question + be wrong.  The video is more truth than the words in a book created by politicians 2000 years ago. Not ur version of an after life.

4. Jack Burton profile image78

Yes, the important word is "if". One day we will all know the correct answer. I'm content with my choice. If I've guessed wrong so be it. If YOU have guessed wrong, well, that's really going to suck, eh. :-)

5. d.william profile image74

L.O.L.  I have no fear of the afterlife.  I am at peace with the world and the creators.

6. Jack Burton profile image78

what a coincidence. I have no fear of the afterlife also. Actually, I am looking towards it with anticipatory celebration. And it's not because I am vain enough to think that "my peace" is the most important... it is Who is at peace with me.

7. d.william profile image74

JB: first 1 must  B  at peace within themselves.  God is not to be feared, or fawned over.  Unfounded fear or guilt will never give peace of mind.   Religious teachings have thwarted logic for control.

8. Jack Burton profile image78

Putting ~yourself~ at the center of attention and control is perhaps not the best way to work with a transcendent, omnipotent and sovereign God who created and sustains us But it is your choice, for now.

9. d.william profile image74

JB: odd comment. why would U think I am putting myself 1st?  I am Gnostic (as was Jesus) and he taught that no middle man was needed to intervene between man and creator.  Religions made that condition, not God.

10. Jack Burton profile image78

Oh, I dunno... perhaps it was your constant emphasis on "I" and your peace.  And, as always, I am content to know that the truth will finally come out for all of us one day. BTW, Paul pretty much destroyed the "Gnostic" argument in his writings.

11. d.william profile image74

JB.  There is no sin in self awareness + logic. So, J.C. is God, but his religion was discarded?  That truly is religion logic.  My truths come from a higher power - not some man preaching hell fire 2 scare you.   
      U do no that ur bible was manmade?

5. Jack Burton profile image78
    Jack Burtonposted 11 years ago

It will profit him little. When the physical passes away and all that remains is your immortal soul then what your relationship is with Jesus Christ becomes the most important question of all.

6. d.william profile image74
    d.williamposted 11 years ago

Great question.  We tend to look at such profound questions as being religion based, but this philosophy is pertinent in all walks of life.  Its metaphoric meaning is way more important, and far more meaningful,  than its religious connotations.

7. boyatdelhi profile image51
    boyatdelhiposted 11 years ago

The Lord Christ is placing before us a pair of scales, and on one side of the balances is laid the whole world. The lust of the flesh is there, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life. All the power sources of the earth's fossil riches, all its diamonds, and all its agricultural wealth, its vast cities and steaming tropical jungles, and all the sensual delights of the world are there. All the people and places of "Hello" and "OK" magazine are there. All that which beauty, and fame, and wealth, and earthly glory, and honour and physical strength can do to make men and women the most famous and envied people on the globe is all here, on this one side of the scales. Unimaginable splendour is here. The glories of the kingdoms of the world are here. Christ leaves nothing out. If you can describe it, then it is here. If you envy it, then it is here. If you covet it and pant for it, then it is here. Every single atom of it is here, not a pearl is missing from the world that lies there in the scales on this side of the balances.

Then on the other side Jesus puts one single soul. It is the soul of a child perhaps, or of a person with learning difficulties, or an old Chinese peasant woman who has spent her life sowing and harvesting rice on one hillside in central China. That one soul outweighs all the rest! It so outweighs the rest that it were as if we had placed an elephant on this side while on the other there was a little mouse. It so outweighs the other that up it all shoots! Up goes the whole world! Madam Bubble goes into orbit! Vanity Fair is flung far, far away. Paul says that after he has seen Jesus Christ then the world is crucified to him and he to the world. In other words you can offer him all the money and rewards and fame and glittering prizes of the world, and Paul would be as fascinated to look at those things as to gaze at the sight of a man being crucified. It is all to him of no consequence. It is all repugnant to him. Love not the world nor the things that are in the world! He has seen the Son of God. His soul is saved!

8. Crissylite profile image76
    Crissyliteposted 11 years ago

just a reminder that this life is temporary...It's more important to feed the soul and spirit instead of the flesh. Life should be more than pursing the material and gaining favor.

9. lone77star profile image72
    lone77starposted 11 years ago

Everything that we judge as "important" only strengthens the temporary, physical self of ego. But ego is the blindfold that keeps us in darkness and dependent upon the physical for our perception and action.

Every "thing" of importance is only important to the "self" of this world and is thus shallow and temporary.

The immortal soul is trapped in this world and only with utter humility can it awaken and take over from the ego. Only then will the true self return to the Light and be independent of the physical for perception and action.

1. d.william profile image74

your comments are based on your religious judgementalism.  The ego gives a person  self assurance and self confidence to succeed in this world.  Subservience is only promoted by religious entities to attain control over their laity.

2. Jack Burton profile image78

"succeed"? That begs the very question that was asked. And you're confusing "subservience" with "following the owner's manual."

3. d.william profile image74

JB: owners manual?  no one owns our soul but us.  We are all integral parts of the whole, that cannot be separated. God made no instruction manuals - man did that.  God IS NOT a religion.  i follow no man.

4. Jack Burton profile image78

When Sears sells a lawnmower they no longer "own" it... but for some silly reason they still put out an "owner's manual" eh. Yes, you own your soul... it's called free will. But that doesn't stop it from needing to be redeemed from being in hock.

5. d.william profile image74

JB. ur comments R amusing. where is the owners manual god put out?  Please do not tell me it is a book created by roman government and blessed by their religion.

6. Jack Burton profile image78

Since the Bible was not "created by roman government " then I guess you don't mind me saying it is the Bible. You can make up what you choose to believe about it, but one day you'll have to answer to the words inside it.

7. d.william profile image74

JB; the bible was a compilation of writings selected by several people to depict the religion they wanted to start. I am sorry you are in such fear of our Creator, it must be hard being perfect in all ways.  Do not judge what U do not know

8. Jack Burton profile image78

You have it backwards. The Bible is writings that were ~acknowledged~, not "selected" as from the inspiration of God. But see, Dear Readers, the best that Will can do is pretend that I am in "fear".  When he starts in making stuff up, it's over, eh.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)