jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Should police and the government have the right to distrupt cell phone, social m

1. BizGenGirl profile image89
    BizGenGirlposted 6 years ago

Should police and the government have the right to distrupt cell phone, social media or internet?

Should police and the government have the right to distrupt cell phone, social media or internet services because of crimes that "might" be committed, or because digital communication devices have made it easier for to everyone to communicate?

2. Druid Dude profile image62
    Druid Dudeposted 6 years ago

Sure. How else are they supposed to protect me from myself...and subversives like all those politicos on twitter. Do you realize what it could mean to our nation if we were to allow unfettered free speach! Why...we might consider ourselves free in some real sense of the word. Next thing you know, everyone would want to be free. Can't have that.

3. Deborah-Diane profile image83
    Deborah-Dianeposted 6 years ago

I think the government should only be allowed to disrupt communications during times of extreme disruption, riots and terrorism.  We may not like it, but  sometimes extreme measures are required to restore order.

4. point2make profile image83
    point2makeposted 6 years ago

Whenever government or police powers are increased it is always at the expense of freedom. What we , as a free society, have to decide is how much freedom are we willing to lose!

5. nicknpdx profile image58
    nicknpdxposted 6 years ago

NO. Need I say more? I've just been alerted that my answer is too short. How much more elaborate can I be for such a simple answer? OK, is it long enough now?

6. Terri Meredith profile image74
    Terri Meredithposted 6 years ago

Absolutely not!  There is no reason that I can imagine where my rights should be violated to such a degree.  I don't give two hoots who "might have" or possibly will commit a crime.  Taking my rights away in order to avoid someone else's crime is simply an excuse to impose totalitarian rule for self-serving purposes.  As has already been stated:  Americans are going to have to decide just how much more freedom they are willing to bargain away while being engaged in the "fear" game the government assaults us with every single day.  Americans have already allowed too much to be compromised all in the interest of "safety and security".  It's time everyone stood up and displayed the backbone and bravery Americans have always been known to possess.  This country is turning into a bunch of whiney-ass wusses.

working