jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Can someone be taught to be homosexual/lesbian depending on their upbringing?

1. janikon profile image89
    janikonposted 6 years ago

Can someone be taught to be homosexual/lesbian depending on their upbringing?

Can someone be taught to be homosexual/lesbian dependant on their upbringing, for example, being raised by gay parents, strictly single parent household or indoctrination? I'm interested to hear thoughts on this - since it is a big debate between political/religious pundits/zealots.

2. Jonny Tyson profile image59
    Jonny Tysonposted 6 years ago

Very interesting question janikon. I don't think there really is a black and white answer for this question. There are claims that it is genetic and others believe it is upbringing.
    It is believed by some that the gay attribute that some individuals live with spawns from an inherited gene. The same concept relating to such diseases as Diabetes or certain mental illnesses, which have been proven to be hereditary.
    But, once again, homosexuality and lesbianism have not yet been proven either way to be inherited.
    On the upbringing side of things, it is understandable to consider the idea that environmental conditioning may have such effects. Basing this on the fact that humans are generally very adaptable, especially during our upbringing stage of life. But how adaptable?...Can we be influenced through environment to have a totally opposite sexual preference in life?..I really don't believe that question can be answered.

3. randslam profile image83
    randslamposted 6 years ago

In a piece I'm working on right now, and example of the simple reality that people should love what they love is witnessed in the life of John Maynard Keynes...as he grew up in an era...circa 1890-1910 he had several homosexual relationships...than later in life married a ballerina whom he loved very much.

The question is really moot--as it is only our society that makes a ridiculously big deal about a very personal arena of life.

4. American View profile image60
    American Viewposted 6 years ago

No one can be taught what the heart wants. One just walks down the street and BOOM, there is a person they are attracted to. No thought as to what sex they were, it is just an uncontrolled feeling that comes over a person, gay or not.

working