jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Does anyone else feel like this country only cares sometimes on ten year marks?

1. cmlindblom profile image77
    cmlindblomposted 6 years ago

Does anyone else feel like this country only cares sometimes on ten year marks?

The last couple of year I felt as if people forgot about 9/11. Well, I know the people directly effected don't but I feel like with most people patriotism is a fad that is in and out!

2. Alligator Jackson profile image81
    Alligator Jacksonposted 6 years ago

its marketing, 10 years was just easier to market and to find indirect ways to make sales like through ratings and magazine sales

3. slaffery profile image59
    slafferyposted 6 years ago

I don't think this country will ever forget! More emphasis is always put on milestone markers such as 10, 15, 20 years just like anything else.  Commemorating our fallen civilians, policemen, firemen and all of the heroes of that day.  Remembering how our country pulled together, helped each other out.  10 years is a milestone for our country to remember so, yes, more emphasis is put on the 10 year mark.

4. Jonesy0311 profile image61
    Jonesy0311posted 6 years ago

Anniversary events provide a way for corporations to capitalize on our emotions. Does Budweiser really like American flag-colored cans? Why the hell is the Statue of Liberty in a Verizon commercial? Because it makes money. I don't think that any American alive in 2001 will forget 9/11 completely. It's already in high school history books. At some point, you have to get on with life. I don't feel that patriotism is a virtue anyway. It is nothing more than the willingness to kill and be killed for trivial reasons (paraphrase of Bertrand Russell). Honestly, I don't care to think about it because it probably had a lot to do with my decision to join the Marines...and go to war twice. I don't see how getting 6,200 troops killed is the proper response to avenge 3,000 civilian deaths. So, I honor 9/11, but I can't think about it without considering all of the bad things that have happened to this country because of it.