Are You Prepared For A Week Without Power?

1. Rock_nj profile image93
    Rock_njposted 6 years ago

Are You Prepared For A Week Without Power?

Many in the northeastern U.S. have gone for days without power due to a heavy fall snowstorm that took down trees and branches onto powerlines.  For some it will be a week or longer before they have electricity restored.  Are you prepared to live without power?  What have you done to prepare?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/5486289_f260.jpg

2. gshill profile image59
    gshillposted 6 years ago

Living out in the country in a highly wooded area we have had our share of power outages.  The longest we have been out of power has been for four days, four long days might I add.  All of our service lines are buried but those lines coming to our property are vulnerable.

We have experienced times when the weather was so bad that we still had power but could not make it out of our driveway.  It didn't take too many times for us to make sure we were prepared in the event of dibilitating storms.  We follow the weather forecasts very closely during the winter months.

We keep a supply of bottled water on hand all year long due to the rather frequent potable water outages we experience in our area.  We keep a pantry of canned goods with a manual can opener handy.  My husband is an avid outdoorsman and has a collection of propane-fueled equipment, cook stove, heaters, lanterns, etc., so those are utilized when our power is out.  We keep our supply of batteries well stocked for the radios and flashlights.

We have discovered that entertainment is quite limited without power so we make sure we have cards, games, books, etc. on hand to help fill the quiet, boring hours.

3. Rochelle Frank profile image96
    Rochelle Frankposted 6 years ago

It depends on the  weather end the resources available to you. I wrote a hub about being prepared for a winter storm- power outage.
    http://rochelle-frank.hubpages.com/hub/ … A-Few-Tips

working