Can you live a week without electronic items like

Jump to Last Post 1-18 of 18 discussions (37 posts)
  1. mrnasir profile image58
    mrnasirposted 11 years ago

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/6959702_f248.jpg
    like TV,Laptop,Mobile,iPhone,mp3 player>>>movies,songs,facebook,twitter,etc. Yes OR No?
    If you can live without all of these items, then what will you do?How will you spend your time?

1. Helena Ricketts profile image91
      Helena Rickettsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You just described my idea of paradise!

I don't watch television at all anyway so I definitely wouldn't miss that.

When I was a kid we didn't have any of the other things you mention either.  I think I was 27 when we got our first home computer and internet.

I'd spend more time gardening, working in my yard, more time with family.  I'd have to get a part-time job because my writing income would be gone but that would be about the worst of it.

2. relache profile image71
      relacheposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I do exactly that several times per year when I go camping at festivals.

3. undermyhat profile image60
      undermyhatposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Please let me.  My perfect home would be heated by a wood stove - used for cooking.  Propane would heat my shower and books would be my companions.  Sounds good.

4. tohimilook profile image60
      tohimilookposted 11 years agoin reply to this

This would not be a problem for me.  I do not watch TV.   I just use my cell when necessary.   The laptop I could do without.   I  enjoy crochet and embroidery so this would a wonderful of doing more of this.
      I can hear some of my friends say, I would not be able to endure that week.

mrnasirposted 11 years agoin reply to this

OK, interesting.

5. profile image52
      Gerryw80posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I feel handicapped without the microwave and my mobile phone. The rest i can surely live without. hardly watch TV anyways. I can keep busy with friends and work just fine smile

6. profile image52
      Jackwil80posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Its easy to say yes we can, but reality is, we would be restless without them even if we had to. Imagine how impatient we get when sometimes the internet isnt working, or mobile networks breakdown, or the cable goes off. Though surely living without tv and internet for a few days is relaxing, majorly actually as you are out of contact from the world, the news especially, all the bad going around, its almost paradise:) and i like the thought of going on camping, someone here mentioned they live without all this on camping trips, must be great smile

2. profile image0
    JaxsonRaineposted 11 years ago

Well, I work on the internet... so let's not exclude that.

Could I live without TV, forums, other computer stuff, iPod, etc...?

Yeah. Take away what I don't use for work, and I'm fine. I love reading, playing card/board games with my family, and spending time outdoors.

3. Thelma Alberts profile image90
    Thelma Albertsposted 11 years ago

Yes, I can. I can read books on the one week without electronic items, gardening, walking on the beach, visiting friends nearby, having a picnic and organizing the things inside my house.

4. WriteAngled profile image75
    WriteAngledposted 11 years ago

I would have no problems whatsoever.

I do not feel the need for an incessant background of sound, so do not use mp3 players at all. I have not switched on my TV for more than a year. I have a mobile phone, but only use it once or twice a week anyway.

I do use my laptop every day, but mainly for work. To live without it for a week would mean I am on holiday, which would be fantastic! Instead, I would read some of the 500 or so books I have at home, which I have not had time to read so far.

500+ books, mini library at home.Wow

1. WriteAngled profile image75
        WriteAngledposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I also have quite a lot of other books that I have read already, although I do try to give away or Bookcross as many of those as I can.

It is difficult for me to pass a secondhand book shop without, going in. Once in, it is difficult for me to leave without buying at least one book, and sometimes several. smile

Books are the only thing I enjoy buying. I put off buying clothes, shoes, furniture, electrical/electronic goods, etc until I really, really have to do it, because I hate all other types of shopping!

I like the people who love to read books especially in this modern technology age where almost everyone is busy in tech.items.
          Well if you don't mind, I want you to answer two of my questions because I'm sure you're an intelligent person and your answers would be valuable.Questions are:
          http://mrnasir.hubpages.com/question/18 … e-a-reason
          http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/102046

2. mrnasir profile image58

Thanks a lot for your answers.

5. rLcasaLme profile image69
    rLcasaLmeposted 11 years ago

This happened to me for not a week but a month when I was sacked out by my employer.
    What I did? Went to the beach, to the malls, anywhere that would drain my time. I'm with my daughter so I guess I didn't get easily bored. wink

Good! you were living as vacations with your sweet baby.I think it's your baby's picture,Nice.

6. SoManyPaths profile image58
    SoManyPathsposted 11 years ago

Gives me more time for participating in sports, working out, going to parks.

Don't truly need TV, phone or internet (since Google has switched up their rules)

7. G Miah profile image79
    G Miahposted 11 years ago

What an excellent question!

If we all think about it, the internet was invented in 1990, so people who are over 30 years old must have some kind of memories to go by without using electronic products such as mobile phones, laptops, ipads etc. The music products like personal stereos came in about late 80's probably early 90's, but not many people had them.

I remember when i was about 10 years old i used to play with friends and family, not watch much tv and read a lot of books and spending time in the library.

I can surely say that i can survive without electronics for a week and more because i would get a lot more time to spend time with my wife and kids, play more soccer, read more books and be more active. It would actually be a more fullfilled life and i'd be more content with my life.

1. undermyhat profile image60
      undermyhatposted 11 years agoin reply to this

If we think about it electricity generation did not exist 150 years ago and yet, people had full and happy lives.  Electricity is a convenience upon which we have come to rely but is it a necessity for life?  Hardly, humanity flourished for thousands of years before the use of coal or oil, it could survive the end of electircity.

2. mrnasir profile image58

G Miah. Thanks a lot for sharing your memories.

8. penlady profile image59
    penladyposted 11 years ago

That would be hard for me to do because I work via the internet. The television, however, wouldn't be a problem, especially since television nowadays basically sucks.

9. Greekgeek profile image80
    Greekgeekposted 11 years ago

Archery, cooking on the Coleman, sleeping in a pavillion, dressing up in Roman costume, attending bardic storytelling and singing competitions, being fed by random people for my performanc of 3,000 year old stories, watching people in armor bash each other with padded swords and spears over a hay bale castle, provide first aid and water to the ones threatening to flop over with heat exhaustion, hang out with artists and belly dancers and fencers, buy shiny things at the merchants' stalls, sit around trading funny stories with old friends...

... Man, I really need to get healthy so I can go back to Pennsic next year. big_smile

Interesting answer.

10. AshtonFirefly profile image70
    AshtonFireflyposted 11 years ago

I absolutely cannot.
    I would die of the onslaught of withdrawal symptoms.
    but if I could...I would spend most of my time writing, running, reading, researching, and....um...spending time with family like I should. Not a bad idea.

11. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 11 years ago

A week? No problem.

A month?

http://www.archives.gov/research/american-west/images/081.jpg
    That would be a problem. lol

OK...your choice.

12. Shanna11 profile image75
    Shanna11posted 11 years ago

I went without Facebook for four months once, no problem. I actually got a lot of stuff done with my life and felt a lot happier overall. I need my phone though. Not in an addicted kind of way, but in an I make a lot of really important calls kind of way.

As for my laptop.... I would struggle there. I love the internet. Way too much.

13. profile image0
    Deb Welchposted 11 years ago

A week without television - i could do and have done.  A computer would
    be more difficult but I could tuff it if I had too, a phone, cell or landline is another
    difficult thing to give up for an entire week - you would have to stop by and talk or
    use regular mail.  In replacement for these electronics for me would be; reading,
    writing,art,doing chores at home you put on the back burner,walking,taking
    better care of everything and maybe finding a new hobby.  Good forum thread.

Thanks. You shared good replacements.

14. SomewayOuttaHere profile image61
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 11 years ago

i need to hear music....so, i'd definitely have a difficult time going without for a week!...omg!

15. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 11 years ago

I've gone a week without TV. So far, not a problem at all. Of course, we are talking about August programming. So I'm not missing much. big_smile

16. GiblinGirl profile image73
    GiblinGirlposted 11 years ago

I actually spent a week in Europe a few years ago without the use of my cell phone and it was awesome.  However, I think I'd have a hard time going a week without TV or Internet.

17. Denise Handlon profile image85
    Denise Handlonposted 11 years ago

R & R  Read and relax!  Bird watch, write, walk...

18. livingpah2004 profile image60
    livingpah2004posted 11 years ago

I think so. It will be hard but we can do it. There are other pending stuff will be done. spending time with family, friends, reading books, cleaning the house etc..

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)