jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Are Military Families given the proper treatment and respect by our society?

1. Leaderofmany profile image60
    Leaderofmanyposted 6 years ago

Are Military Families given the proper treatment and respect by our society?

2. My Esoteric profile image91
    My Esotericposted 6 years ago

I think they are today, for the most part.  In my day, 1971 - 1975, when I was active duty, I retired in 2006, that was not the case.  Vietnam vets specifically, but the military in general was despised in America and the support services for families were very limited; military family housing was a joke for Majors on down to Private.  That was the period when the Post Exchange, I was in the Army, no longer was a bargain as we forced to "compete" with the civilian market; I forget whose idea this was, Conservative or Liberal, but it stank.

3. Danette Watt profile image86
    Danette Wattposted 6 years ago

Military families have a lot of resources available to them now than they did many years ago. However, families of reservists have had a much harder time because they often don't live near a base where those resources can be found in one spot or where there might be an advocate for them.

4. lburmaster profile image84
    lburmasterposted 6 years ago

No. The government does not respect them either. The length of time in the military has increased a year. Their vacation time has been cut over 75% off, and they only have 12 hours to emotionally intake the horrors they see instead of the 86 days they used to have. Also the time in combat used to be 48 days, it is now over two years. 
    I live in Houston, Texas. We have over 10,000 homeless people and 30% of them are veterans.

working