jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

Which person in India can become 'a Young Mahatma Gandhi in Action' in near futu

1. RK Sangha profile image60
    RK Sanghaposted 6 years ago

Which person in India can become 'a Young Mahatma Gandhi in Action' in near future ?

2. Vinodkpillai profile image80
    Vinodkpillaiposted 6 years ago

Thank you for what I consider a very relevant, thought provoking and extremely difficult question.

I agree that India needs a young Mahatma Gandhi. I also feel it in my bones that somebody will emerge in the near future because the corruption, crime, violence, lawlessness and moral degradation have reached a level where it cannot become worse. Such moments when everything hit rock bottom, spell hope and is a harbinger of change. Any young person who can remain unaffected by the degradation around him will make a strong leader. I keep looking out for such people but cannot identify anybody. They may be there but have probably not fully emerged. Or I am missing something. The Anna movement did show a lot of passionate youth speaking with conviction and I keep hoping that maybe a Kejriwal or somebody else like him in the movement will have the selflessness moral authority and leadership to emerge but it is still too early to conclude. There could also be some young politician who has all the requisite qualities but is still in the shadows; after all the entire political class cannot be bad. Similarly there could be other unknown unsung youngsters from other walks of life who may come out. I hesitate to conclude but I am very hopeful.

3. Vegas Elias profile image28
    Vegas Eliasposted 5 years ago

Mahatma Gandhi was a great soul and he succeeded in leading the Indians at an opportune time. However it is wrong to conclude that it was only the charisma of Mahatma Gandhi that helped India attain freedom. There are several reasons why the British left India; out of which the non-violent movement of Mahatma Gandhi was only one reason.
    Today's political world is very much more complicated than what it was in 1947. All over the world we find innocent and unarmed people being massacred with impunity. Nothing happens. Though I am not a fan of Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru, I find the social diplomacy played by him has also helped to a great extent.
    A young Mahatma Gandhi will not help India in any way. He will be just jailed on some false allegations and remain there for life. What we need in young dynamic leaders who are able to use force against corruption. Requesting, pleading and fasting will not help. There are a couple of instances where people have fasted unto death and actually died; but the problems remain.

1. RK Sangha profile image60
      RK Sanghaposted 5 years agoin reply to this

What you say, "young dynamic leader" is what I meant from Young Mahatma Gandhi needed by India these days, or in any democratic set up. When you say, pleading and fasting will not help, you are overlooking the appeal of dynamic leader. Thanks.

working