jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (8 posts)

Quote of the Day - Mahatma Gandhi

1. Kenna McHugh profile image86
    Kenna McHughposted 4 weeks ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/13884338_f1024.jpg
    "All compromise is based on give and take, but there can be no give and take on fundamentals. Any compromise on mere fundamentals is a surrender. For it is all give and no take."
    ---Mahatma Gandhi

2. threekeys profile image80
    threekeysposted 3 weeks ago

I have a block in understanding the last two lines of this quote. Could someone shine a light here for me please?

1. K S Lane profile image92
      K S Laneposted 3 weeks agoin reply to this

From what I understand he's saying that a compromise has to have a balance of 'give' (things you don't want to do) and 'take' (the things you do want to do), but to comprise your fundamental values is really just a surrender because there's too much give and no take. I think it could be interpreted differently too, though.

1. Kenna McHugh profile image86
        Kenna McHughposted 3 weeks agoin reply to this

The second part of the quote relates to the first part of the quote - no give and take on the fundamentals. Fundamentals can vary from person to person. I see fundamentals as the foundation, the base for which one builds their life or purpose. If you compromise the very basic or essence of your life, your life will be in vain.

3. threekeys profile image80

I can understand in giving too much. But the taking or lack of taking? If  I replaced the word with receiving I would understand it..

4. Harishprasad profile image82
    Harishprasadposted 3 weeks ago

My take is : giving up( giving ) bad traits and inculcating in ( taking ) good qualities of living. Thus ,a compromise is when a person gives up something erratic in his behaviour and learns something which is uplifting to her/ his personality. This can be vice- versa. Now the fundamentals are good qualities universal to the whole humankind. Mahatma Gandhi speaks of them that these shouldn't be compromised at any cost for then one will be spoiled wholly and wll not be able to recover after that.

5. threekeys profile image80

I can relate better to its meaning now, Harishprasad. Some traits like some personal values are non negotiable. Yes?

6. Harishprasad profile image82
    Harishprasadposted 3 weeks ago

You're welcome threekeys. Yes, you caught it right.

working