jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Will the United States benefit by creating term limits for the US Congress and S

1. RobertoPortales profile image76
    RobertoPortalesposted 6 years ago

Will the United States benefit by creating term limits for the US Congress and Senate?

2. tomismobile profile image60
    tomismobileposted 6 years ago

Yes the United States as a whole would benefit, but individual regions of the US would be harmed at first, but in the long run they too would benefit. But it's a moot point as they only body that could enact term limits would be Congress themselves, and you can be sure they won't do that. I don't believe the founding fathers would have wanted the career politicians we have now. Many of their early writings indicate that.

3. onegoodwoman profile image77
    onegoodwomanposted 6 years ago

Congressmen and Senators, already , come up for re-election.

Vote them in or vote them out..............

If someone is doing a fantastic job of representing YOU...............why, would you want a law that severs their service?

4. RobertoPortales profile image76
    RobertoPortalesposted 6 years ago

Onegoodwoman, that’s true; however, sometimes what’s good for a particular community is not what’s best for the United States.  I know that the US is broken into hundreds of communities, but I think that it’s important for the country work together, especially in today’s world.  With term limits, Congressmen and Senators wouldn’t have to worry about re-election, they wouldn’t have to worry about politics, and they could just focus on what’s best for the country.

5. DowntroddenInDC profile image83
    DowntroddenInDCposted 6 years ago

Absolutely! Special interest groups would have less affect on politicians, so politicians could actually serve the people and not corporate donor's pocketbooks.

6. profile image0
    Old Empresarioposted 6 years ago

No, because the system will just make the legislators into interchangeable drones--worse so than they already are. I think before people advocate enacting sweeping changes, they should first think about what it is we actually want to accomplish. Do we want dishonest politicians or do we want politicians who are already rich and don't need campaign donations or bribes? Does either option sound palatable? Do we want long-serving, multi-generational professional statesmen in office or do we want ordinary citizens to participate in political leadership as well? If you want the latter, how do we expect that to happen without the would-be politician being corrupted by contributors? Our people are not virtuous saints. Do we want a democracy, a republic, or an autocracy? Imagine what an ideal government is for you and then decide what changes would need to be made to accomplish this. The options are few, because we can't change our society, as President Obama sadly discovered.