jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

What is the 'Occupy Wall Street' movement trying to achieve?

1. sweetzara profile image80
    sweetzaraposted 6 years ago

What is the 'Occupy Wall Street' movement trying to achieve?

2. capricornrising profile image62
    capricornrisingposted 6 years ago

Here in the U.S., though most of them can't quite articulate it precisely, a few of the most cogent, knowledgeable members are quite aware that it's this: Campaign Finance Reform—a single policy that would end all vote-buying by corporations and special interests, and in time hopefully better balance the intensely diverse economic situations of this country's citizens.

3. athena2011 profile image57
    athena2011posted 6 years ago

I had not heard any of them mention Campaign Finance Reform. I thought they wanted to lessen the gap between the wealthy and the middle class in the USA.

Perhaps they have multiple goals. Not sure how it will end as all I seem to hear and see on TV is their campsites being broken up by the police.

4. lburmaster profile image84
    lburmasterposted 6 years ago

Each time I see a video about the groups, each individual says something different. One person says equality. Another says to get their money back. One woman says she wanted her rights which she claimed were food and clothes. I wanted to smack her in the head.

5. M. T. Dremer profile image95
    M. T. Dremerposted 6 years ago

There are a lot of different ideas coming out of the Occupy movement, but I would argue that the driving force behind it is the desire to stop the wealthy (and corporations) from getting away with murder. Not literally, of course, but when you tank the economy using deceptive and borderline illegal tactics, and you know you're doing it, you should have to answer to your crimes, not get a giant bailout and a slap on the wrist. The 99% got robbed; there is no other way to say it, and the politicians in congress really don't seem to care that it happened. Occupy Wall Street was formed against this idea that the 1% could get away with something so evil while the rest of us suffer the consequences.

The solutions to the problem, however, are many. Campaign finance reform is a big part of it. The reason politicians don't care is because lobbyists are louder than citizens. They got elected on corporate cash, so it's the cash they're going to obey. By eliminating that corporate cash, it will go a long way to making politicians listen to the people again. Fixing that also includes removing all lobbyist influence from Washington for good. There's also a number of proposed solutions to protect U. S. citizens, like wall street restrictions (to prevent this from happening again), demanding livable wages, protecting union rights, etc. There are a lot of things that COULD help us, but unfortunately it took a massive protest to get people to start paying attention to the real problems.

6. aygabtu profile image66
    aygabtuposted 6 years ago

Trying to achieve?  Who knows.  Going to achieve?  Nothing!  You think anyone in the board rooms cares about people camped out?  Yeah right!  It won't change a thing unless people vote with the wallets, but if everyone keeps going out to buy the next iphone, latest purse, shoes, and other fads they will just keep raking in the money and laughing all the way to the bank.