jump to last post 1-11 of 11 discussions (11 posts)

Can Obama be defeated if unemployment drops below 8 percent ?

1. mio cid profile image48
    mio cidposted 6 years ago

Can Obama be defeated if unemployment drops below 8 percent ?

unemployment falls to 8.5 percent and trending down.

2. Joelipoo profile image83
    Joelipooposted 6 years ago

Easily. He has already made up the minds of a lot of people who cannot be bought back.

3. MelissaVsWorld profile image84
    MelissaVsWorldposted 6 years ago

Unemployment falls because hundreds of thousands of Americans are no longer counted as "unemployed" because their benefit has expired or they are no longer actively looking for work because they have given up all hope.  The actual percentage of the unemployed is closer to 23%.

Obama will be defeated.

4. cafeteria profile image69
    cafeteriaposted 6 years ago

That's a tough one. The biggest thing against Obama is the economy. If the Republicans lose that, he'll be really hard to beat. Obama is a full-blooded politician and a lawyer to-boot that's a deadly combination. Thing is, I really don't see the economy getting much better. Unemployment went down last month because of the Christmas rush.

I think we'll find two things next month, 1) the unemployment numbers were exaggerated for the month of December, and 2) January's unemployment numbers will spike back up.

Again, I really don't see things getting any better if Obama holds to the convoluted theory that spending money we don't have will somehow generate jobs or income. Let's see you or I try that one.

For the sake of argument, if the economy gets better he wins against Romney, who will be the nominee, if it stays the same or gets worse - he's gone! If Romney can't pull that off, Republican's deserve to lose.

5. ElderYoungMan profile image80
    ElderYoungManposted 6 years ago

Hello folks......  we have "legal" internment camps on American soil.  Better than that, we can "legally" be put in them!  This only happens on war time folks.... so, I think we'll be lucky to have an election.  I doubt Obama would lose to anyone but Ron Paul.

6. mio cid profile image48
    mio cidposted 6 years ago

cafeteria I agree with you  if the economy keeps getting better Obama wins only because the republican have bet all their chips on the economic malaise and have no plan b whatsoever.

7. Pcunix profile image92
    Pcunixposted 6 years ago

Given the crazy talk in the GOP camp, I think it could hit 20% and he'd still beat any if them.

8. JBBlack profile image60
    JBBlackposted 6 years ago

I do not think Obama will be defeated.

9. profile image0
    oldandwiseposted 6 years ago

Given the current field of GOP nominees, I believe he will beat any of them. The economy is slowly coming back given the hit it had the past few years.

10. CZCZCZ profile image84
    CZCZCZposted 6 years ago

The precise percentage of employment will not be the deciding factor in the election of 2012, regardless unemployment has been high for the last few years.  It may not be the issues that this election cycle is decided on if the Republican nominee does not have a candidate that has full support from the party bases.  Obama / Paul would be the most interesting to watch for sure.

11. Lions Den Media profile image60
    Lions Den Mediaposted 6 years ago

Americans are already critical of the current 8.3 percentage rate re: unemployment. There will be an election regardless of what a few are thinking, because the one thing Americans have are plenty of guns. However, more to the point, yes Obama is extremely beatable. The reason that polls are not illustrating this is because the focus is on the GOP and it is only February.

Remember, especially all of you Obama fans, McCain was beating Obama up until October 2008 when the Financial "crisis" hit. Even thought the so-called crisis was manufactured economic and financial fraud, it did change the complextion of the election. (and NO that is not a pun or innuendo or a racist statement)

Similarly, this election is going to be about economics not unemployment.