What do you think about global warming? Do feel like it has been a scam all alon

1. Bill's Ideas profile image60
    Bill's Ideasposted 6 years ago

What do you think about global warming? Do feel like it has been a scam all along?

After the sixteen scientist came and said that there was no man made global warning. Infact they said there was no global warming.

2. Rock_nj profile image92
    Rock_njposted 6 years ago

16 scientist out of how many?  And what is their agenda?  Who do they work for?  What are their qualifications to provide an opinion about the topic at hand? 

Anyone who actually thinks there hasn't been any global warming over the past 150 years should join the Flat Earth Society.  The scientific data replicated in many data sets, including indirect ones such as animal habitats, indicate the earth has warmed over the past 150 years.  Of course, like anything, the earth does not warm up in a striaght line.  It has its ebbs and flows.  Right now, we are in somewhat of an ebb, but just wait until the solar cycle is peaking in couple of years and El Nino is back.  The world is going to feel a lot warmer, as the general uptrend in global temperatures is skewed to the upside for a year or two.  During a solar minimum in 2010 the Northeast experienced its hottest summer ever since records were started in the 19th century.  That was surprising given the weakness of the sun at that time.

What happens 50 or a 100 years from now is anyone's guess.  There are so many feedback loops in the atmosphere, both positive and negative, that it's hard to say where temperatures will be decades from now, but if the trend of the past 150 years continues, the global temperatures will be higher than they are today.  I think positive feedback loops such as methane being released from arctic regions will accelerate the build up of greenhouse gases in the Earth's atmosphere and the Earth's climate will respond by heating up.  But we cannot discount negative feedback loops that could moderate the warming of the Earth.  Popcorn please.  This will be quite a show!

3. Larry Fields profile image78
    Larry Fieldsposted 6 years ago

Was Global Warming a scam all along? Of course, it was.

Take the IPCC. This organization was set up to investigate the effect that human activities are having on climate change. It was never about uncovering the truth. The 'conclusion' was always foregone. Global Warming pseudoscience is straight out of Alice in Wonderland.

"'No, no!' said the Queen. 'Sentence first—verdict afterwards.'"

Global Warming pseudoscience is a multi-billion-dollar industry. At least two prominent pseudoscientists--Kevin Trenberth and Phil Jones--admitted in the Climategate emails that there's been no measurable Global Warming for more than a decade. Imagine what would happen if most of the world's Climate Change 'scientists' decided to be honest, for a change.

The funding for Global Warming 'research' would dry up overnight, and the pseudoscientists who did not have tenure would be out pounding the pavement, trying to find real jobs. Moreover there would likely be criminal prosecutions for fraud on the part of Keith Briffa (the Russian tree ring 'study') and others.

For whatever it's worth, my academic background is in analytical chemistry. I've done a bit of low-budget, original research on one aspect of Global Warming: the claim that the GW of the 90s was 'unprecedented'. My conclusion? At least in California's Northern Sierra high country, that assertion does not hold water.

By the way, I have never worked for the oil industry.

One point that laymen need to understand: Real science is not about the pontifications of mavens with vested interests. From that perspective, real science is the exact opposite of religion. To quote the late Nobel Laureate (physics), Richard Feynman,

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts."