jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Should New Jersey fly the flag at half staff for the death of Whitney Houston?

1. Joelipoo profile image81
    Joelipooposted 6 years ago

Should New Jersey fly the flag at half staff for the death of Whitney Houston?

2. LuisEGonzalez profile image86
    LuisEGonzalezposted 6 years ago

The flag is traditionally lowered to half mast for the death of a government official  with distinguished service and for a national or state tragedy such as the death of a governor or the President of the USA or during 9/11.

Doing this for a celebrity is not appropriate, however, a state legislature may do this in certain cases when they consider that such celebrity performed acts of great benefit or great service to said state.

3. ithabise profile image87
    ithabiseposted 6 years ago

My eyebrows raised when I first heard of this; but there really isn't a problem, in my opinion. I see it as the state wanting to honor one of their own (elite). They are proud that Whitney is a New Jerseyan. Their flag is one of the easiest way to respect her loss.

4. Cre8tor profile image96
    Cre8torposted 6 years ago

I asked a similar question myself but my thoughts and whether it should or not are different I guess. No, I don't think they should. I am aware that states can do this...that doesn't mean they should. Let's not degrade the honor paid to those who have dedicated their lives or given them to serve this country.

5. feenix profile image61
    feenixposted 6 years ago

In my opinion, it is acceptable to fly the flag at half staff for the death Whitney Houston.

And that is because The Head of the State of New Jersey deemed it to be appropriate.

Now, if that upsets some of the residents in that state, they can let the governor know when he comes up for re-election.

Furthermore, there are no laws on the books concerning who is and who is not eligible to have the flag flown at half mass in the event of their demise. The only things in place are traditions, precedents, and the usual policies and practices.

And, by the way. I served two tours of duty in Vietnam as an infantry soldier.

working