jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

What were Newt Gingrich's ethics violations he got fined for?

1. GA Anderson profile image82
    GA Andersonposted 6 years ago

What were Newt Gingrich's ethics violations he got fined for?

2. profile image0
    Sooner28posted 6 years ago

It sounds worse than it is.  Here is a quote from ABC News, "“The subcommittee found that in regard to two projects, Mr. Gingrich engaged in activity involving 501(c)(3) organizations that was substantially motivated by partisan, political goals,” the report says. “The subcommittee also found that Mr. Gingrich provided the committee with material information about one of those projects that was inaccurate, incomplete and unreliable.”"

So basically, he was using funds for organizations he was involved with that were supposed to be non-partisan, but used the money for partisan purposes.  Also, since it was supposed to be non-partisan, special tax breaks were involved, when they really shouldn't have been.  At least, that is my understanding of what occurred.  He was fined 300,000 dollars and resigned from his Speaker position.

3. pstraubie48 profile image84
    pstraubie48posted 6 years ago

It was reported that he used tax deductible money for political purposes and gave inaccurate information to investigators. He received a reprimand and a $300.000 fine.

4. biancaalice profile image60
    biancaaliceposted 6 years ago

I believe Newt Gingrich's ethics violation was for taking $1.6 million from Freddie Mac before the economic meltdown getting fined $300,000. Don't care for the guy very much though.

5. profile image0
    Gusserposted 6 years ago

I believe his ethics violations were for snuggling up with Ms. Peelosi.