jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

What do you do if you are a witness to a crime?

1. ThePracticalMommy profile image97
    ThePracticalMommyposted 6 years ago

What do you do if you are a witness to a crime?

What steps should you take, besides calling 911? Does it depend on the crime?

2. Wayne Brown profile image83
    Wayne Brownposted 6 years ago

I would say that you take some well thought out steps. In today's climate, one never knows what they will encounter in the simpliest of crimes. Like wild animals, criminals tend to panic when they are trapped and they do desperate things in the process...possibly kill when they had not planned such a crime in the beginning. Everyone has a different approach that ranges from looking the other way to getting licensed to carry firearms legally. Every situation is different and requires judgement before action.  Unless lives are being threatened, I would opt for calling 911 and gathering as much evidence as i could from a distance. WB

3. hoteltravel profile image70
    hoteltravelposted 6 years ago

My first step would be to help the victim. Depending on the crime and circumstances, the approach has to be different. We need to careful not to aggravate the situation further.

4. lburmaster profile image81
    lburmasterposted 6 years ago

Call the police if it was a murder. I've already got a great security system to keep me safe if the murderer attempts to get me. Possibly write a book about the situation. Make it really dramatic. However, if it was a crime like selling drugs or breaking into someone's property to get your stuff back, I would just ignore it.

working