Could you turn in your child for a crime?

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (16 posts)
  1. cindi h profile image60
    cindi hposted 12 years ago

My husband and I were watching a reality show one night and the police were waiting for crime tips on a local shooting. The mother of a boy called to turn in her son, possibly for a reward!!  Would you or could you turn in your own child?

1. OutWest profile image57
      OutWestposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Never but I would encourage them to turn themselves in.

2. TamCor profile image81
    TamCorposted 12 years ago

I could never do that...but I probably would do as OutWest mentioned...maybe...

3. Greek One profile image64
    Greek Oneposted 12 years ago

I reported my son to the police the other day for being too cute for words

cindi hposted 12 years agoin reply to this

How funny Greek One  All three of my children have been 'convicted' of the very same thing!!!

4. Lady Luv profile image71
    Lady Luvposted 12 years ago

I would, because I myself do not break the law, to the point of always wearing my seatbelt. I see it as follows...if he decides to break the law in some horrible way, he needs to serve his time and get off the streets away from society, the same as any criminal. I LOVE my son, but he is being raised to do right, not take advantage of people. If he partakes in illegal activities, such as rape, murder, grand theft, etc, he deserves to learn his lesson. I would not hesitate to turn him in. I would not allow him to roam free to repeat his offenses. I would also let him know this.
    If it was something stupid like pot, I would not turn him in. I would use common sense to deem what should and should not force me to turn him in. It would have to be something completely immoral. It would be a case by case decision, I should think...and rewards would not be a consideration. I would refuse any that might arise.

1. profile image0
      Stevennix2001posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I agree with you there, as it would depend on the crime and circumstances if you ask me.  Personally, even if there was some reward money involved, I wouldn't accept it either and if I did, then I would probably just put it towards his/her college fund.

2. profile image51
      xx329posted 12 years agoin reply to this

The crime shouldn't matter...you're turning him in for killing someone or smoking pot... both are illegal in the eyes of "the law" as dictated by the people.  Personally, no matter the crime, I will NEVER turn in my flesh and blood.  Period.

5. Disturbia profile image60
    Disturbiaposted 12 years ago

This is really a tough question to answer.  I suppose it would all depend on the crime and the circumstances.

cindi hposted 12 years agoin reply to this

yes I know! This show led to a lengthy discussion between my husband and I. We too, came to the conclusion that it would depend on the situation. Likewise, if one of my children were the victims of a terrible crime or tragedy, I would want  justice.  But I honestly don't know if I would have the fortitude to turn them in. Fortunately, I have wonderful children and I'm sure I'd never be put in that predicament.

2. profile image51
      xx329posted 12 years agoin reply to this

No it doesn't a crime is a crime... you're turning him in or not.

6. Greek One profile image64
    Greek Oneposted 12 years ago

The only crime I would turn him in for is patricide....

But I doubt I would be able to say much

7. L.L. Woodard profile image67
    L.L. Woodardposted 12 years ago

In many ways, this is a difficult question to answer as a hypothetical. As a parent, I ate my words more than once about what I would do in a given situation once one of my kids was actually in that situation.

I love my children, but have been in the position where I notified authorities of the illegal activity that could have been life-threatening to that teen. It was a tough decision to make, but that teen, now an adult, thanks me for stepping in.

8. theirishobserver. profile image60
    theirishobserver.posted 12 years ago

Would that be like George Bush turning in Tony Blair smile

9. profile image0
    Home Girlposted 12 years ago

I once did. To prevent a crime that could have happened. I saved my son from possible crime and consequences of it. And he is not mad at me for doing that. But I am still mad at him for putting me into that position. It's a very hard thing to do. I just did not have a choice at that moment. All I can say, I do not want to be in that situation ever again. It's absolutely devastating.

10. profile image51
    xx329posted 12 years ago

I just came across this topic and actually cared enough to register and post a reply!  Come on ... this is your flesh and blood, of course you will cover as a parent.  I don't care WHAT the crime is I WILL cover for them.  Sure, I will try to convince them otherwise, but realistically, it is a call between someone you don't know (or could care less about) or your son or daughter. I know the choice most people will make.  If MY son was killed, of course, I expect the killers mother/father to cover up for them.  That's just life... just our genes at work.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)