jump to last post 1-13 of 13 discussions (13 posts)

Do you ever try to see the other person's point of view?

1. Word Pools profile image85
    Word Poolsposted 6 years ago

Do you ever try to see the other person's point of view?

As children we are taught things are black / white, good / evil, and things are clear cut.  As adults, they look more like shades of gray.

Do you try to look at things from all angles before forming your opinions?

2. msorensson profile image71
    msorenssonposted 6 years ago

There is a space between you and the person communicating with you. It is called the neutral zone. If you go there, you see your side and his side at once.

3. lburmaster profile image83
    lburmasterposted 6 years ago

Yes, I try to look from different view points. However, that only makes me more amused, confused, frustrated, and irritated.

4. junko profile image77
    junkoposted 6 years ago

Yes, I've learned a lot by listening, not much by talking.unless I ask a question.

5. feenix profile image60
    feenixposted 6 years ago

Only when I am in a very charitable mood, and I can't help it that I'm that way. I'm an Aries.

6. Express10 profile image87
    Express10posted 6 years ago

I usually do see the other person's point of view. Sometimes I am considered to nice or a pushover because of this.

7. BlissfulWriter profile image65
    BlissfulWriterposted 6 years ago

Yes, I try to always look at both sides and see things from the other person perspective.

8. Nare Anthony profile image71
    Nare Anthonyposted 6 years ago

Considering that listening is one of the best of best abilities you may have, I always try to listen to others, even if what they say is not quite what I think. Listening to people does more good to them, than you might expect.

9. profile image0
    onlookerposted 6 years ago

Yes, I do try. I myself cannot stand to be wrongly judged so yes, i try and step on the other person's shoes before passing on my view point.

10. Dennis AuBuchon profile image83
    Dennis AuBuchonposted 6 years ago

My philosophy is that I am not always right and I am willing to listen to other individual's point of view.  This makes me a better informed persone.  I may not always agree but I would understand their point of view.

We should always be open to hearing other individual's opinion on any issue.  We as individuals do not have all the answers.  Our opinions may change when we hear the logic and justification for issues as presented from others.

11. Cre8tor profile image98
    Cre8torposted 6 years ago

Yes. Always. Without seeing both sides of a situation how can one be sure they're making the right decision or forming the proper opinion? I think without this ability, all decisions are based on bias and lack all the facts. This becomes a huge problem when dealing with children. Everyone always says it's hard to assess a situation from inside of it and I agree. Lastly, if I'm going to take a stance or make an argument for or against something...how can I defend it if I don't know where my "opposition" is going to attack? Find your own holes and fill them so you don't look stupid when you shoot off at the mouth and someone calls you on something you didn't already see coming. Seeing both sides is part of the 7 P's...Prior Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance.

12. ib radmasters profile image59
    ib radmastersposted 6 years ago

That is the purpose for my hubs, and also the polls that I put in them.

13. plaid pages profile image60
    plaid pagesposted 6 years ago

I have a wonderful, annoying colleague who ALWAYS plays devil's advocate.  He's always the negative voice and it drives me nuts.

HOWEVER, in working with him for 20 years, I realize that he is my complement.  I am a risk-taker and always diving into new ideas and projects.  He keeps me grounded.  On the other hand, my enthusiasm usually pushes him to try something new.

Strangely, we're like an old, married couple.

haha

Robyn

working