jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

I someone says they're pro-life, how can they say they're pro-war?

1. madmachio profile image61
    madmachioposted 6 years ago

I someone says they're pro-life, how can they say they're pro-war?

2. Shahid Bukhari profile image61
    Shahid Bukhariposted 6 years ago

Warring ... against War ... Is indeed a Pro-life activity ...

3. profile image0
    Sooner28posted 6 years ago

It depends if you think war can be justified in any circumstance.  I'm not talking about our current imperial conquests for oil.  I mean a situation with a Hitler type.

If you think war is morally justified under limited circumstances, and your argument is defensible, then it's possible to be pro-life and "pro-war.".  I'm currently undecided on whether all wars are unjustifiable, or just most.  I'm still giving this some thought.

4. MickS profile image71
    MickSposted 6 years ago

I'm not sure, when I look at the 20th century, I believe that only one war was justified, that against Nazi Germany.
    I once saw a bit grafitti scrawled on an underpass wall:
    'I'm fighting for peace
    It's rather like f*****g for virginity.'
    That sums up the whole thing, do I take a life to prevent someone else taking another life?  That brings in all sorts of value judgements about worth of anothers life.

5. Doc Snow profile image96
    Doc Snowposted 6 years ago

I don't think anybody says that they are "pro-war," even if they are--they know it sounds bad.

What they do say, sometimes, is that the 'unborn' are most deserving of protection, since they are the least guilty of all humans, not having yet had a chance to do anything wrong.  Logically, it's a bit unpersuasive, since the opposite is also true--what value is there in virtue that is completely untested?  But it has a certain emotional appeal, I suppose.

Then again--looking at previous answers, it seems I need to reconsider the thought that no-one says they are 'pro-war!'

6. Joan King profile image71
    Joan Kingposted 6 years ago

It is difficult indded tounderstand how someone can fight for a fetus but support the bombing and disfigurement of millions of children. It is inconcievable that one can demand justice for a fetus and not use the same drive and passion to care for 1 of the millions of children around the world who are born but die of disease, wars and starvation. However, it is concievable that people can find justifications for whaterver in their minds they think is write or wrong.

7. HemperorsCloset profile image58
    HemperorsClosetposted 6 years ago

because they have no idea what life or death is or what they're about

8. okaygrace profile image60
    okaygraceposted 6 years ago

Simple, most people are complete hypocrites and pick and choose what morals and beliefs they want to stick to.