jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Does the recent Executive Order alarm you?

1. breathe2travel profile image80
    breathe2travelposted 6 years ago

Does the recent Executive Order alarm you?

To quote a summarization: With the stroke of a pen, President Obama issued an executive order a few days ago that seizes control over all food and food production resources in the nation: Farms, seeds, tractors, livestock, stored food, food processing centers and even the food in your pantry! Officially announced by the President- It's not just food, either -- Obama has seized all water, labor, metals and other resources that he says will be used to "stockpile" supplies for the military and the government. --http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2012/03/16/executive-order-national-defense

2. junkseller profile image84
    junksellerposted 6 years ago

For the most part this is an update of an EO that has been around for awhile and is based on the Defense Production Act of 1950.

However, it seems to me that in Obama's version, this process can start up even in non-emergency national defense situations, which means just about anything these days, so yes it is alarming. Not necessarily for seizing control of everything, but it certainly could be used to bolster our war machine, which I think would be tragic. Could also be in prep for an Iran conflict. There are pieces moving that seem to make that uncomfortably more likely.

3. breathe2travel profile image80
    breathe2travelposted 6 years ago

WindMaestro - from whitehouse.gove itself: http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-off … eparedness

4. Randall R Green profile image61
    Randall R Greenposted 6 years ago

It worries me, especially with the impending action in Iran by Israel (our ally).  This executive order may be implemented sooner rather than later. 

It is a scary time for such legislation.

5. Mary Neal profile image58
    Mary Nealposted 5 years ago

Investing too much power in any single government office concerns me, and it should concern everyone. America has problems, but basically the government worked because there was a checks and balance system that is apparently no longer in place now. That is potentially dangerous.