jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Do you believe religious schools should be forced to allow students a have gay-s

1. janikon profile image89
    janikonposted 6 years ago

Do you believe religious schools should be forced to allow students a have gay-straight alliances?

There has been a lot of press surrounding Catholic schools banning the adoption of Gay-Straight Alliances within the walls of their institutions. Do you think they should be forced to allow students to have them or do you agree with the Catholic church's stance on the issue?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/6374912_f260.jpg

2. junkseller profile image83
    junksellerposted 6 years ago

The Church should force itself to accept them. It is part of their own catechism. See section 2358: "They must be accepted with respect, compassion, and sensitivity. Every sign of unjust discrimination in their regard should be avoided. These persons are called to fulfill God's will in their lives and, if they are Christians, to unite to the sacrifice of the Lord's Cross the difficulties they may encounter from their condition."

It seems to me that these alliances are simply about eliminating things like name-calling and trying to create an environment of love and respect, rather than advocating or promoting homosexuality. This seems entirely consistent with the Church's position.

3. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 6 years ago

I have a problem when the word "force" is used.  As JSChams says, if they are not receiving federal funds, and are a private institution then we should have no say.  It seems in attempting to create some kind of ideal society where all are accepted, we are losing certain rights.  There has to be some kind of balance.

4. Catzgendron profile image73
    Catzgendronposted 6 years ago

Yes I do because in the eyes of God we are all supposed to love each other, we don't have to like their choices but as sister and brothers in Christ we love each other.  It isn't for us to judge they will be judged by when they go before God. He makes the judgement.

5. d.william profile image61
    d.williamposted 6 years ago

The churches' stance on homosexuality is based on a false premise and should be discontinued post haste.  It saddens me deeply to see religious minded people who have adopted this twisted view of homosexuality based on an archaic and biased view that no longer has any validity in our society.  Banning homosexuality was nothing more than a man made law based on the need to advance procreation to build the armies back in the days when the christians were killing all their opposition and their armies needed building.  To continue such beliefs is an abomination against all that is good, just, and equal in the name of the law, and in the eyes of the creator.
    There should be NO discrimination allowed in this country, for any reason.

working