Why do the tides vary in height?

1. Myn Is Me profile image71
    Myn Is Meposted 5 years ago

Why do the tides vary in height?

2. Matthew Kirk profile image82
    Matthew Kirkposted 5 years ago

You get Spring tides which are higher than usual because the moon is usually closer to the earth that time of the month. You usually get around 2 spring tides a year. I know this because Spring tides are usually the best time to fish.

If you imagine the ocean as a bulge as the moon circles you should get the idea, when the moon and the sun are on the same side of the earth and close to each other in particular you get large spring tides.

Don't know why all of your questions are showing up so often in my feed. Sorry for being a know it all to! tongue

3. Chad Banks profile image72
    Chad Banksposted 5 years ago

Because the sun and moon are sometimes acting together and sometimes against one another. When the earth, moon and sun are all in one line, as at "new moon" and "full moon", the moon-waves and sun-waves come together and we get the highest, or "spring" tides. But when the moon is half full or half waned the moon-waves and sun-waves are in different places and the lowest, or "neap", tides occur. One should notice that spring tides have no connection with the season of spring.