jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Why are religion and sexuality such emotive subjects?

1. cherriquinn profile image81
    cherriquinnposted 5 years ago

Why are religion and sexuality such emotive subjects?

2. Kebennett1 profile image59
    Kebennett1posted 5 years ago

These are two subjects of which people have very strong emotional, "home grown" biases for or against. Many people can not talk about a subject that they have a bias for or against without becoming angry if someone else does not agree with their point of view. A rational discussion can only take place if the people involved have a common ground called RESPECT. It is okay to disagree with varying opinions but the problem comes into play when RESPECT is left out of the equation.

3. Barnsey profile image80
    Barnseyposted 5 years ago

Good question. It is most likley due to the fact that both of these ideals are enforced in everyone's upbringing. Having grown up with the idea that they're particular opinion is fact and all others nonsense the response to alternate ideas is nearly compulsive.
    This is akin to the reactions expressed when someone is fed ideas differing from their brainwashed programming, They react with venom out of instinct without even knowing why they feel so strongly.

4. flacoinohio profile image82
    flacoinohioposted 5 years ago

I think it is because the persons having the issues are either sexually ignorant or they are sexual deviants that choose religion to cover their true sexual preferences.  Back in the days before established religion, humans mated without being married, they chose a mate or two. maybe more and did their thing which was to produce offspring.  Religion usually denounces what it does not understand and makes it immoral.

5. profile image0
    Old Empresarioposted 5 years ago

Religion is emotive for third reasons: First, some people have a stake in that racket and have the incentive to defend it against facts and science. Second, others are not emotionally equipped for the fact that nothing happens to them after they die. Third, still others need it to justify or to feel good about themselves in their otherwise immoral lives. Sexuality is emotive because many men and women have some physical attraction to the same sex, but have always been told that this is evil.

6. ackman1465 profile image62
    ackman1465posted 5 years ago

I DIDN'T consider these two to be related/emotive subjects until that night when the lucky girl that I was with screamed out;   "Oh GOD, (my name) this is SOOoooooo good!!!"

working