Have you ever struggled through a bureaucratic process? Did you learn anything f

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (10 posts)
  1. buckleupdorothy profile image70
    buckleupdorothyposted 11 years ago

Have you ever struggled through a bureaucratic process? Did you learn anything from the experience?

Have you ever struggled through a bureaucratic process? What, if anything, did you learn from the experience?

2. profile image0
    Lisa Marie Warrenposted 11 years ago

I have, and what I've learned was that it is vital to avoid all bureaucratic processes if at all possible, and at all costs.   smile

3. tonymead60 profile image84
    tonymead60posted 11 years ago

I had problems getting a grant each year for a project that I was running.
    I learnt that the people you have to deal with leave their humanity out in the bike shed. That such people are obviously very unhappy in their jobs and probably their lives, and they want to pass on that misery to the rest of us.

4. Attikos profile image81
    Attikosposted 11 years ago

We're living today in an increasingly regulated, authoritarian, bureaucratized society. Every one of us has to deal with bureaucratic processes and their effects all the time. You can't do business with a bank or a grocery store, drive a car, or use electricity without it.

The first experience usually teaches one to despise officious bureaucrats and the horse they rode in on. Virtually all of us now do. The second lesson, that a regulatory state fleshed out and enforced by bureaucracy is no way to run a country, is a harder one. I'd like to think most of us through sad experience are learning that one too, but given the continuing expansion of that regulatory state and the elections that time after time fail to restrict it I'm skeptical we are.

5. profile image0
    Larry Wallposted 11 years ago

I have encountered many bureaucratic processes, some successfully and others with less than success. The secret is to learn their rules--they may not be logical, but there are rules that they have to follow and while the person you talking to is sympathetic, he or she has their limitations.

Some situations defy common sense. I wrote in a hub about insurance. There is a program designed to insure people who have pre-existing conditions. There are two requirements yo had to be without insurance for six months or without credible insurance for six months. The insurance industry has a definition of what is credible and non-credible. Non-credible does not provide major medical or catastrophic coverage.

However the government rules say the policy is credible if they pay for an event and not for time. Thus a doctor's visit is an event. An X-ray is an event, and so on. Because these procedures are charged as events and not on a time basis, the policy is considered to be credible, making me ineligible to get the government program that is suppose to help people like me. I got my two Senators and my Congressman involved and no success. So I am stuck with a limited medical indemnity plan, which help pays for meds and some mediclal procedures. However, I hope I do not have any $100,000 hospital visits like I had in the year 2000. I may have to buy a copy of "Surgery for Dummies" and do the job myself.

6. Becky Katz profile image81
    Becky Katzposted 11 years ago

My husband is a totally disabled veteran and it took numerous applications, lots of frustration and 17 years for him to get his disability. We learned that they do not care if you ever get your disability and are hoping that the veterans die before getting it. Then they will not have to pay him. We learned that they will throw your application in the trash right in front of you and taunt you with the fact that they are in control. We learned that when they throw it in the trash in front of you, it negates that you ever turned that app.in and you will not get back pay to that app. turn-in date. We learned that they just want to screw with you, not help you. They really suck.

1. buckleupdorothy profile image70
      buckleupdorothyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

That is an outrageous story! What a horrible way to treat people who sacrificed so much for their country. I sincerely hope that your husband has received some reparation, and that his example is highlighted as proof that 'the system' is not working.

2. Becky Katz profile image81
      Becky Katzposted 11 years agoin reply to this

This is unfortunately the norm, although it is getting slightly better over the years. You would not believe some of the horror stories I have been told by people. I wrote a three part story of this fight and it is on my profile page.

7. Beata Stasak profile image78
    Beata Stasakposted 11 years ago

Spending my childhood and early adulthood years in the Eastern Europe I have learnt that the communist system I used to live in, was not only totally bureaucratic, but also unjust and unfair and totally corrupted...anything after that is a piece of cake:)

8. joanveronica profile image68
    joanveronicaposted 11 years ago

Bureaucracy is a way of life in Latin America, and Chile is no exception, allthough everybody is making a big effort to streamline legislation, civic processes, form-filling and etc. I guess the main lesson is to multiply patience, patience and then patience. I find that daily experience does help to cut through to the central issues and solutions. And when standing in line waiting to get attended to, I practice a modified form of "standing like a tree" meditation (Qigong). This last is my invention, I think!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)