jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Is this saying true? I have always wondered about it.

1. Sparklea profile image75
    Sparkleaposted 5 years ago

Is this saying true?  I have always wondered about it.

Is this saying true?  "A son is a son till he takes a wife, a daughter is a daughter the rest of your life."

2. mio cid profile image45
    mio cidposted 5 years ago

this is true most of the time with the exception of in some cases us people of italian descent where  the son is the favorite of  "la mamma" and although the daughter will always be there for the mother the mother will still under appreciate the daughter and over value the son.

3. Attikos profile image79
    Attikosposted 5 years ago

It's a catchy way of saying women are possessive in relationships, and it usually is true.

4. teaches12345 profile image96
    teaches12345posted 5 years ago

It seems to be true in those relationships where the mom and daughter are close.  I believe sons can also have close ties to moms, except it's sometimes looked upon as being too dependent (unable to cut the apron strings).

5. profile image0
    Larry Wallposted 5 years ago

It follows the lyrics of The Wedding Song by Paul Stookey of Peter, Paul and Mary.

(Second verse)--It was played at our wedding
    Well a man shall leave his mother and a woman leave her home
    They shall travel on to where the two shall be as one.
    As it was in the beginning is now and til the end
    Woman draws her life from man and gives it back again.
    And there is Love,
    there is Love.

My guess is that long ago (look at the Jane Austin era) men were expected to have careers, inheritances, etc. Women were supposed to marry well. It was an unfair system and thankfully women are treated better. I was turned down for a job today by a woman.

I could say that sons are more independent and are less dependent upon their families, particularly their mothers, but that would not be true. I have known a lot of "mama boys" over the years who have neglected their wives because of their mothers. Sounds like an old saying that is really out of date.

6. Vegas Elias profile image30
    Vegas Eliasposted 5 years ago

Yes this saying has proved to be true irrespective of race and location. This is the case in almost all countries and all communities. May be this is the way the world goes on.

working