jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (9 posts)

If atheists do not believe in a higher power, then what do they actually BELIEVE

1. UrbanLove101 profile image61
    UrbanLove101posted 5 years ago

If atheists do not believe in a higher power, then what do they actually BELIEVE in?...

I've always wondered about an atheist's way of getting through life. Do they actually believe in anything? Are they considered to be bias if  they believe that there is no god?

2. Uninvited Writer profile image82
    Uninvited Writerposted 5 years ago

Atheists believe in humanity and don't need a God to make their decisions for them.

3. peeples profile image94
    peeplesposted 5 years ago

I believe in myself. When it comes down to it nothing is really possible if we don't believe in ourselves. I get myself through hard times, good times, stressful times, and any other problem that may arise. If I need outside help I turn to my husband. I really don't care how the world began or how we got here. We are here now and what we do moving forward is all that really matters.

4. Georgie Lowery profile image95
    Georgie Loweryposted 5 years ago

As an atheist, there are a lot of things I believe. I believe in being a good person. I believe in obeying the law. I believe in kindness and honesty. I believe in giving to charity. I believe in putting children first. I believe in knowledge and science. I believe in the inherent goodness of people. I believe that I have to enjoy life because, when it's over, it's over.

My way of getting through life is the same as everybody else's, I just do it without a church, a congregation or a tithe.

Why do "believers" often assume that we "non-believers" just make up our own rules just because we do not believe in God? Bias is irrelevant when it comes to the law. God's not going to put me in jail if I break it, the judge will.

5. UrbanLove101 profile image61
    UrbanLove101posted 5 years ago

So... Atheists believe in themselves. They also believe in humanity and get by by making their own conscious decisions. But another question, how do they know when something is right and wrong? Is it just their own decision on how the consequences turn out whenever something goes down? Do atheists have a guilty conscious?

Thank you for responding to my question, ya'll. I'm finding out a lot of information. I hope that I'm not offending anyone with the question...

1. Georgie Lowery profile image95
      Georgie Loweryposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I'm sorry, but right and wrong and guilty consciences are by no means religious concepts.

2. peeples profile image94
      peeplesposted 5 years agoin reply to this

We know right and wrong to some extent from birth by seeing cause and effect. We are just like everyone else minus a belief in God. Georgie's on point.

6. M. T. Dremer profile image96
    M. T. Dremerposted 5 years ago

Atheism refers specifically to ones belief in god. A lot of people make the mistake of thinking that atheism means a total lack of faith or belief in anything. For example, Buddhism is an atheist religion; the two words do not cancel each other out. You can have beliefs and faith without thinking any sort of deity exists.

As an atheist I believe in fair treatment of everyone regardless of gender, race or sexual orientation. If this life is all we have, then it is even more important to live it well. If I just ran around breaking all the rules, I'd spend my one life in jail and would have wasted everything. Besides, I get satisfaction out of helping people or being kind to them, in much the same way I feel good when they are nice in return. I'm not saying I love public service, but even the best of us get frustrated now and again.

And, if you're wondering where these morals, or my conscience, comes from, I can only counter with; where don't they come from? Growing up our parents tell us not to hit our brother or we have to go to the corner. In school, the teacher tells us not to cheat on our test or we will fail. And in adulthood, the police tell us not to steal from a bank or we will go to jail. The concepts of right and wrong are so ingrained in our society that it's hard not to pick them up, regardless of religious affiliation. Perhaps some of these ideals came from religion at one point, but I would argue they are more a byproduct of community living and shared circumstance. We're stronger in packs so we must protect the pack at all costs. Hence; we will develop a system of morals that protects our mutual interests. Religion is just one method to bring order to a community and lay out ground rules. Some of us believe that it is no longer needed in our modern society, but that isn't true of all atheists. As I said before, one can be religious or have faith while not believing in god. But, thank you for asking the question. A great deal of people do not seek out answers from the opposing side.

7. nightwork4 profile image59
    nightwork4posted 5 years ago

i can't speak for all atheists but for me, i believe in myself. i believe in others and that WE can make a difference in this world. people have been worshipping one god or another for thousands of years and it has gotten us no where. war, hatred etc., is still here and will always be if we don't give up these silly beliefs and put that same faith in each other.