jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Do privacy concerns influence your voting habits?

1. Eric Calderwood profile image85
    Eric Calderwoodposted 5 years ago

Do privacy concerns influence your voting habits?

Even though I am a member of one of the two major political parties, in the coming presidential election I will probably not be voting for either of the two major candidates.  This is partly because of privacy concerns (concerns about government taking too much power over our private lives and being too intrusive in the way they do it).  What about you?  Will government over-reaching play a part in your decision making for who you vote for?

2. duffsmom profile image61
    duffsmomposted 5 years ago

I too have concerns in that area.  But I do want to be a part of the process that puts or attempts to put the next president in office. I want my vote to count so if I vote for a third party candidate that cannot possibly win, I feel my vote was wasted.

Government has gotten out of control over the past few years and more and more freedoms are being whittled away.  I wish I had faith that this will change but I am doubtful.

3. DzyMsLizzy profile image96
    DzyMsLizzyposted 5 years ago

No--It doesn't matter--"Big Brother" is pretty much already in place.

Regardless of the name they go by, neither major political party is very different from the other anymore. Case in point:  Republicans call certain charges "taxes," Democrats call them "fees."  The end result is the same.  It's all a game of semantics.

As far as "choosing" the candidate, we don't.  The 'electoral college' nonsense effectively takes our individual choices away from us.
    And there, I had better stop, lest I jump up on my soapbox and write a horribly long rant.

4. LilaDaley profile image61
    LilaDaleyposted 5 years ago

As an American living in Canada I see rights being taken away from us on both sides of the border.  I am a registered Libertarian in the US and will vote accordingly.  I feel that if more people felt that big federal government was a problem and voted accordingly then the two main parties would have to change but people don't stand up for what they believe in or search out their own answers and just believe whatever they read on the internet or see on the "news".