jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (10 posts)

Would you betray your country in order to help capture a fugitive?

1. mintinfo profile image73
    mintinfoposted 5 years ago

Would you betray your country in order to help capture a fugitive?

In Pakistan a doctor who collaborated with the CIA by using secret DNA testing on his own people to trace Bin Laden's blood line was found guilty of treason and sentenced to 33 years in prison. On one hand it helped to find Bin Laden but on the other hand it violated Pakistani citizen rights as well as state laws. Would you have done the same?

2. H P Roychoudhury profile image47
    H P Roychoudhuryposted 5 years ago

Doctor has done a noble duty in supplying the DNA report to trace Bin Laden’s blood for the security and protection of human beings living any where in the world but again he has violated Pakistani citizen right. He was rightly found guilty of treason. Now the decision lies with the integrity of the person whether you want to be a law abiding citizen for the protection of a fugitive or you want to sacrifice yourself for the protection of human beings or humanity. I would prefer the later. Of course I would fight to the last. I will not hesitate to appeal the international court for justice against 33 years imprisonment.

mintinfoposted 5 years agoin reply to this

"what you don't know wont hurt" is a term I'm familiar with since my youth. I found out a long time ago that intelligence agencies use medical info to track cultures and people all around the world. Because it came to light in this case makes no dif.

3. point2make profile image82
    point2makeposted 5 years ago

The Doctor has done an incredible service for the World at large and for his own country and for that he is punished. Pakistan will bear the consequences of their, foolishness for a very long time.
    The only thing the Doctor did wrong was , through his actions, show the world the magnitude of the incompetence of the political and military leaders of Pakistan. Or in other words.........he embarrassed them and for that ....33 years in prison.  How about we place the military and political leaders of Pakistan on trial for their complicity in this affair and allow the Doctor to sit in judgement over them. Sounds fair to me!

I agree 100%

4. Attikos profile image78
    Attikosposted 5 years ago

Even were it a breach of local laws, I'm having difficulty understanding how the man's action can be called treasonous. In providing information to the US, did he join Pakistan's enemies to fight against his own country? Is that what is being said, that Pakistan considers itself to be at war with the United States and allied with Al Queada? After all, treason is siding with an enemy against your own people, yet Pakistan and the US are supposed to be allies if not always comfortable ones, and Pakistan is supposed to be combating Al Queada rather than working with it. Someone, please, explain this to me.

The problem is, some lines should not be crossed because of the ethics involved. Unfortunately due to the psychopathic nature of some individuals the rights of all will be violated.

5. Sheepsquatch profile image64
    Sheepsquatchposted 5 years ago

I wouldn't want to violate people's rights in order to  catch a criminal, but betraying a country in order to catch a dangerous fugitive would be fine.

6. pagesvoice profile image85
    pagesvoiceposted 5 years ago

In a legitimate government this doctor would have been hailed as a hero to the people. The government and military in Pakistan prove repeatedly how questionable their loyalties are in curtailing the activities of known terrorists.

7. suzettenaples profile image89
    suzettenaplesposted 5 years ago

No.  I see no reason to betray your country.