This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: "https://hubpages.com/privacy-policy#gdpr"

jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (9 posts)

Will the leftist thug losers of the Winconsin recall effort now leave the state?

1. Cassie Smith profile image69
    Cassie Smithposted 5 years ago

Will the leftist thug losers of the Winconsin recall effort now leave the state?

I'm hoping those bozos leave the good people of Wisconsin alone and relocate to debt-ridden Europe. LOL!

2. Billie Pagliolo profile image60
    Billie Paglioloposted 5 years ago

I don't consider myself a leftist thug.  My father worked in Milwaukee for Kearney and Trecker for most of his life starting in the 50's. After my father retired, he was later committed to Woods Veteran's Hospital in Tomah, WI where he was to spend the rest of his days.  Because of the small union pension that the union at Kearney and Trecker fought for, my mother was able to keep her little apt.when she could no long work.  My father-in-law, who incidentaly landed on the beaches of Normandy (anniversery of that event today) was hardly a leftist thug either.  He also worked in a factories in Milwaukee (Pauling and Harnischfeger among them) and  was able to obtain at least a liveable wage.  I doubt if either of these companies would have given fair wages without that pressure.  In addition, as a teacher of the deaf and hard of hearing, I worked for the Bureau for Hearing Impaired in Madison, WI in the 70's. Up until the time that one Wisconsin State Senator and one determined deaf leader, Herb Pickell, fought for a government agency that required certification of interpreters, deaf people of Wisconsin had to depend on their children (some as young as 4 years old to interpret for them even for legal transactions - (see "Our Father Abe, the Story of a Deaf Shoe Repair Man" by Eva Dicker) and had few services.  After that government agency was established, interpreter certification and salary levels, which at least matched maintenance workers in the state, were established!  All of the people in my life are those who understand that without unions and without government, the unrepresented go un-protected.  It's easy to fall into the Stockholm Syndrome and like the miners of Appalachia, we begin to defend the "company store" while we're being duped by it.  The money in the Wisconsin election did a great job of duping the voters.

1. Cassie Smith profile image69
      Cassie Smithposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Why would you think my comment applied to you?  Unions have a role but when a public union starts to bankrupt a state, then the relationship should be examined or do you think members should not be affected by the economy like everyone else?

2. Billie Pagliolo profile image60
      Billie Paglioloposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Cassie, When a person identifies with a position, a party, a church, a family - useage of words emotive words (in this case)"thug" and "leftist" are perceived as attacks. 2.Austerity economics. as stated in "The Price of Inequality" is dangerous.

3. feenix profile image61
      feenixposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Calling a person or group "leftist" is not an attack. It is merely calling a spade a spade -- just as calling a person or group "right wing" is nothing more than calling it like it is.

4. Billie Pagliolo profile image60

The DENOTATION of "leftist" is:"pertaining to, or advocated by the political Left." However,the CONNOTATION implies radicalism. Left-wing is not as offensive as leftist. I don't call a right wing view "fascist" out of respect for others' viewpoints

5. Cassie Smith profile image69
      Cassie Smithposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Billie, at a time like this, the least of your worries should be semantics.

6. Billie Pagliolo profile image60

I'm done!

7. profile image51
      stillluvWIposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I so admire your efforts Billie, I spent half my life in Wisconsin, gave up on state employment after toooo many charges of being 'bozo...leftist..loser'
      now live a nice walk from North Dakota School for the Deaf...am amazing, enriching entitty...

working